• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Single or plural?

Hi, my daughter's English teacher showed the class a picture of a woman knitting a sweater and asked the students to make a sentence based on the picture using 2 words - 'knitting' and 'hobby'.

My daughter's answer was 'Her hobby is knitting sweaters' but the teacher insisted that it should be 'sweater' and not 'sweaters'. Her reasoning is that the woman cannot knit more than one sweater at a time!

I know my daughter is correct but I don't know how to explain it to the teacher. In addition, if she brings up other examples like 'His hobby is playing football' and not 'footballs' then I would be stumped!

Any explanation given would be most appreciated. Thank you!

Regards,
    Ka Yen

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Single or plural?

Quote Originally Posted by Ka Yen View Post
    Hi, my daughter's English teacher showed the class a picture of a woman knitting a sweater and asked the students to make a sentence based on the picture using 2 words - 'knitting' and 'hobby'.

My daughter's answer was 'Her hobby is knitting sweaters' but the teacher insisted that it should be 'sweater' and not 'sweaters'. Her reasoning is that the woman cannot knit more than one sweater at a time!

I know my daughter is correct but I don't know how to explain it to the teacher. In addition, if she brings up other examples like 'His hobby is playing football' and not 'footballs' then I would be stumped!

Any explanation given would be most appreciated. Thank you!

Regards,
    Ka Yen
    There's a difference between sweaters and footballs.
    "My hobby is playing football" doesn't relate to the football itself. It means "My hobby is playing football games." You can't play more than one football game at once either but, as you know, that doesn't make the sentence wrong. The teacher's reason is silly, and more to the point, is not reflective of English usage.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Single or plural?

If your hobby was "knitting a sweater", then after you had knitted one sweater, your hobby would be over!
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.