• Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

confusing on reduced realtive clauses

could anybody help me out here.

while we were sitting around the table my mom would assign us duties. ...
    1)It was the way by which (in which) shopping and homework were got done in our house.

2)It was the way shopping and homework got done in our house.

May u tell me which of above sentences is correct? In the second sentence got done, is it a reduced relative clause?
    Last edited by abdol1987; 25-Oct-2013 at 07:07.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

confusing on reduced realtive clauses

What an absolutely perfect greeting to a newcomer in your forum:). anyway, thanks for viewing this topic although unanswered :).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: confusing on reduced realtive clauses

Quote Originally Posted by abdol1987 View Post
    What an absolutely perfect greeting to a newcomer in your forum:). anyway, thanks for viewing this topic although unanswered :).
    That is not how to win friends and receive responses in this forum. The people who respond here do so in their free time, some of which they are prepared to give up in an attempt to help others.

They are not impressed by people who consider having to wait two and a half hours for a free response an excuse for sarcasm.

Thread closed.
    Last edited by Tdol; 25-Oct-2013 at 10:35. Reason: Small typo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: confusing on reduced realtive clauses

Now, let me see. You posted your question at 7.00am (UK time). You then impatiently posted again at 9.37 complaining that you didn't have a response. Would you like to know what I was doing during that time? Well, let me tell you.

At 7am I was asleep.
    Between 7.10am and 8am I was showering, making breakfast, sorting out the washing and doing the washing up from breakfast.
    At 8am, I drove a friend to his new job to make sure he got there OK.
    At 8.30 I arrived at work.
    From 8.30 until 1.45pm I was at work, during which time I have neither the time nor the inclination to be doing anything on the internet.
    At 2.30pm I got home and made myself some well-deserved lunch.

At 3pm, I turned on my computer and started looking at the new threads on this forum. I was planning to respond to your post until I noticed post #2 and then of course I read 5jj's response.
    Before making any comment on the content of your question, I was going to spend five minutes correcting the capitalisation (every sentence must start with a capital letter), the punctuation (sentences don't end with ... ), and your use of non-standard words ("u" does not exist, the word is "you").

I decided not to spend any time on your actual post. Instead, I spent five minutes constructing this reply which will hopefully make you realise that the people on this forum have a life outside the forum. We are busy people. We have other things to do. When we do work on the forum, we do it in our own time and at our own convenience. I can't say what all the other people on the forum were doing for those two hours and thirty-seven minutes, but I am pretty certain that whatever they were doing, it was important and/or did not allow them to be on the internet.

If you require urgent answers to your questions, I'm sure you will find many people on the internet who are more than happy to take your money in exchange for their opinion. If you are not willing to pay those people, I suggest you learn some patience.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.