• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

it is worth it/ somethig or someone is worth.

Hi teachers,

I have searched worth in many dictionaries and sites such as onelook and fraze-it and also the previous threads of this forum to get a better understanding. I am still having doubt though.

"Someone or something is worth this much." This is okay. I can understand.
    "It is worth or not worth doing something." This is also okay. I can understand.
    "It's worth it." But I don't get this.

On a certain thread of this forum, one says that the "worth" in "It's worth it." functions as a preposition. I am really confused. Can the "worth" be a preposition?
    Also in some dictionaries, it is said that "worth" is a verb but as far as I am concerned about it I believe it is not.
    I really have some problems with using the "worth" is a sentence. But as I told you, after checking it in dictionaries and on sites now it's little bit okay.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: it is worth it/ somethig or someone is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by kite View Post
    Hi teachers,

I have searched worth in many dictionaries and sites such as onelook and fraze-it and also the previous threads of this forum to get a better understanding. I am still having doubt though.

"It is worth or not worth doing something." This is also okay. I can understand.

On a certain thread of this forum, one says that the "worth" in "It's worth it." functions as a preposition. I am really confused. Can the "worth" be a preposition?
    Also in some dictionaries, it is said that "worth" is a verb but as far as I am concerned about it I believe it is not.
    I really have some problems with using the "worth" is a sentence. But as I told you, after checking it in dictionaries and on sites now it's little bit okay.
    It can be according to the first two dictionaries I opened. It is a preposition in your other sentences too.
    worth1(wɜrθ)

prep.1. good or important enough to justify (what is specified): advice worth taking; a place worth visiting.
    2. having a value of, or equal in value to, as in money: This vase is worth 20 dollars.
    3. having property to the value or amount of: They are worth millions.

worth - definition of worth by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Hi teachers,

Don't worry about "worth" as a verb. Its use as verb (befall, happen, betide) is archaic.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

I see. It's quite complicated. Anyway! The way I have put it in the sentences is okay, right? And I will keep using like that, right? Did you mean to recommend me so?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I see. It's quite complicated. Anyway! The way I have put it in the sentences is okay, right? And I will keep using like that, right? Did you mean to recommend me so?
    Your uses of worth seem OK.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

I must admit that I have never thought about what part of speech 'worth' is. My first reaction when I read the first two posts was that it can't be a preposition. I still don't like the idea, but I can't think of a more appropriate class.

I am reminded of the discussion we had in one thread a couple of years ago in which some of us decided that 'come' must be a preposition in "He'll be dead come Christmas".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    I must admit that I have never thought about what part of speech 'worth' is. My first reaction when I read the first two posts was that it can't be a preposition. I still don't like the idea, but I can't think of a more appropriate class.

I am reminded of the discussion we had in one thread a couple of years ago in which some of us decided that 'come' must be a preposition in "He'll be dead come Christmas".
    I had the very same thought about "worth: as a preposition. I don't like it, but I cannot come up with a better analysis.