[Grammar] it is worth it/ somethig or someone is worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi teachers,

I have searched worth in many dictionaries and sites such as onelook and fraze-it and also the previous threads of this forum to get a better understanding. I am still having doubt though.

"Someone or something is worth this much." This is okay. I can understand.
"It is worth or not worth doing something." This is also okay. I can understand.
"It's worth it." But I don't get this.

On a certain thread of this forum, one says that the "worth" in "It's worth it." functions as a preposition. I am really confused. Can the "worth" be a preposition?
Also in some dictionaries, it is said that "worth" is a verb but as far as I am concerned about it I believe it is not.
I really have some problems with using the "worth" is a sentence. But as I told you, after checking it in dictionaries and on sites now it's little bit okay.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi teachers,

I have searched worth in many dictionaries and sites such as onelook and fraze-it and also the previous threads of this forum to get a better understanding. I am still having doubt though.

"It is worth or not worth doing something." This is also okay. I can understand.

On a certain thread of this forum, one says that the "worth" in "It's worth it." functions as a preposition. I am really confused. Can the "worth" be a preposition?
Also in some dictionaries, it is said that "worth" is a verb but as far as I am concerned about it I believe it is not.
I really have some problems with using the "worth" is a sentence. But as I told you, after checking it in dictionaries and on sites now it's little bit okay.
It can be according to the first two dictionaries I opened. It is a preposition in your other sentences too.
worth[SUP]1[/SUP](wɜrθ)

prep.1. good or important enough to justify (what is specified): advice worth taking; a place worth visiting.
2. having a value of, or equal in value to, as in money: This vase is worth 20 dollars.
3. having property to the value or amount of: They are worth millions.

worth - definition of worth by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi teachers,

Don't worry about "worth" as a verb. Its use as verb (befall, happen, betide) is archaic.

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I see. It's quite complicated. Anyway! The way I have put it in the sentences is okay, right? And I will keep using like that, right? Did you mean to recommend me so?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I see. It's quite complicated. Anyway! The way I have put it in the sentences is okay, right? And I will keep using like that, right? Did you mean to recommend me so?

Your uses of worth seem OK.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I must admit that I have never thought about what part of speech 'worth' is. My first reaction when I read the first two posts was that it can't be a preposition. I still don't like the idea, but I can't think of a more appropriate class.

I am reminded of the discussion we had in one thread a couple of years ago in which some of us decided that 'come' must be a preposition in "He'll be dead come Christmas".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I must admit that I have never thought about what part of speech 'worth' is. My first reaction when I read the first two posts was that it can't be a preposition. I still don't like the idea, but I can't think of a more appropriate class.

I am reminded of the discussion we had in one thread a couple of years ago in which some of us decided that 'come' must be a preposition in "He'll be dead come Christmas".

I had the very same thought about "worth: as a preposition. I don't like it, but I cannot come up with a better analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.