[Grammar] Once upon a time, a king offered a prize to whoever painted the best picture of peace

Status
Not open for further replies.

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi teachers,

"Once upon a time, a king offered a prize to whoever painted the best picture of peace." In this sentence if I use "whomever" instead of "whoever", am I wrong?

Thanks.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi teachers,

"Once upon a time, a king offered a prize to whoever painted the best picture of peace." In this sentence if I use "whomever" instead of "whoever", am I wrong?

Thanks.

Yes, that would be wrong. In the original sentence, ""whoever" is the subject of a clause and it needs the nominative version.

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I thought that in a sentence after 'to' it is always should be an object. Just knew that subject is also okay to be used. It is new to me.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I thought that in a sentence after 'to' it is always should be an object. Just knew that subject is also okay to be used. It is new to me.

Yes, this is the trickiest part of using who/whom. If the pronoun is the object of a preposition, we use the objective form. But in this case, the clause is the object of a preposition and the pronoun is the subject of a clause.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yes, this is the trickiest part of using who/whom. If the pronoun is the object of a preposition, we use the objective form. But in this case, the clause is the object of a preposition and the pronoun is the subject of a clause.
That's a good one. Thank you.

Before Rover steps in to say I should simply click on 'Like', I'll add that I have tried to respond to this question before and not come up with such an obvious (once you see it) answer. It's worth a boost, in my opinion.

ps. My usual response has been that native speakers of BrE rarely use 'whomever;' even when it's 'grammatically correct'. I haven't changed my mind about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.