Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. He who believeth in me should...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kohyoongliat

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. He who believeth in me should...

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. He who believeth in me should not perish, but have everlasting life."

If I rewrite the sentence as follows, are the quote marks needed?

1, Jesus said:

"I am the way, the truth and the life. He who believeth in me should not perish, but have everlasting life."

2. Jesus said:

I am the way, the truth and the life. He who believeth in me should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Hence, is the first or second sentence correct?

Thanks.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. He who believeth in me should.

A comma is preferable to a colon to introduce direct speech. The quote marks are necessary.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Re: Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. He who believeth in me should.

Even if you changed the meaning completely, as in, "I am not the way ...", you sfill need the quotation marks. You are quoting what you claim to be his words.

kohyoongliat

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

A comma is preferable to a colon to introduce direct speech. The quote marks are necessary.
If I am not mistaken, the colon introducing direct speech is American English. I often see them used in our local newspapers. In fact, they do not use commas.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

If I am not mistaken, the colon introducing direct speech is American English. I often see them used in our local newspapers. In fact, they do not use commas.
Even so, I believe the quotes should be there, and you don't need a new line after the colon.
Also remember that newspapers often use a different style from what you'd find in a novel or essay. For example, the lines are often only a few words long, and sometimes each sentence begins a new paragraph.

kohyoongliat

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

Thanks, Raymott.

I was surprised to find a colon used after "said" in the following link: BNC Simple Search . Hence, it would appear that the British use the colon after "said". It is not American English, as I thought.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

This American used a comma not a colon.

kohyoongliat

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

This American used a comma not a colon.
Thanks, Barb. Do the majority of Americans use the colon?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Strictly, the quotation marks are needed. But in this case, in the West, the quoted words are so well known that the colon is enough of an indicator (saying 'here comes a quotation')

b

Status
Not open for further replies.