• Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Exclamation to be nudged

Hi,
    Could anyone please help me to understand this sentence below? could anyone please simplify it for me?

Timing and spacecraft attitude errors often require the image to be"nudged" to fit the map projection exactly

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: to be nudged

"Errors" is the subject and head of the sentence. These errors come in two kinds. Some are errors of timing, and the rest are errors in the attitude (position in three-dimensional space: e.g. nose up, nose down, nose to the right etc.) of the spacecraft.

"Map projection" is just a misuse of technical jargon. What the author meant and should have said is map.

A nudge is a gentle push or shove, and the passive verb "to be nudged" has a corresponding meaning.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Thank you so much but I would like to know what does mean "to be nudged", could one say that the these errors need the image to be "compressed" to fit the map exactly?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I don't think it needs to be compressed. I think it needs to be moved a tiny distance in one direction or another in order to fit. If you nudge something, you move it right/left/up/down/diagonally a very small amount.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.