My American teacher said "diligent" doesn't mean a person's characteristic, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

registered

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
My American teacher said "diligent" doesn't mean a person's characteristic, but...

We (Chinese students) often describe a student "diligent", and we think it means "hardworking".
An American teacher corrected in a speach: "diligent" doesn't mean a person's characteristic, but it's used to refer the way a single task or job is done.
I looked up "diligent" in the dictionaries, but I think the definitions tell me "diligent" indeed means a person's characteristic, unless I misunderstood these definitions:
Definition in Collins Dictionary: Someone who is diligent works hard in a careful and thorough way.
Definition in Merriam-Webster:
characterized by steady, earnest, and energetic effort.

I don't doubt this teacher's words, but I hope somebody can give me more examples to help me understanding this word.
Doesn't "diligent" mean "hardworking"?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: My American teacher said "diligent" doesn't mean a person's characteristic, but..

I have no idea why your teacher said this.
A diligent student, a diligent worker - these are both fine.

However, the teacher corrected you in a speech. not a speach.

registered

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Re: My American teacher said "diligent" doesn't mean a person's characteristic, but..

Oh, mistake by carelessness! Thanks for your pointing out!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

And did you mean in a speech or in speech? Were you just talking (in speech) or speaking formally in public (a speech)?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

We (Chinese students) often describe a student "diligent", and we think it means "hardworking".
An American teacher corrected in a speach: "diligent" doesn't mean a person's characteristic, but it's used to refer the way a single task or job is done.
I looked up "diligent" in the dictionaries, but I think the definitions tell me "diligent" indeed means a person's characteristic, unless I misunderstood these definitions:
Definition in Collins Dictionary: Someone who is diligent works hard in a careful and thorough way.
Definition in Merriam-Webster:
characterized by steady, earnest, and energetic effort.

I don't doubt this teacher's words, but I hope somebody can give me more examples to help me understanding this word.
Doesn't "diligent" mean "hardworking"?

I think that your teacher was trying to draw a distinction between who someone is and what someone does. The term "diligent" mostly describes how a person acts. The problem with the attempt at distinction is that the way a person acts, if it is habitual, is part of who the person is.

registered

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

And did you mean in a speech or in speech? Were you just talking (in speech) or speaking formally in public (a speech)?
I meant speaking formally in public.
Thanks for your reminding.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

I think that your teacher was trying to draw a distinction between who someone is and what someone does. The term "diligent" mostly describes how a person acts. The problem with the attempt at distinction is that the way a person acts, if it is habitual, is part of who the person is.
I agree.

We may describe someone as a diligent student/clerk, but we are less likely to say they are a diligent person, in my opinion. If I say that someone is diligent, I am normally referring to how hard they work in the role in which I see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.