Do you know what Jiaozi is? Is it a dumpling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

registered

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
A pot sticker is browned on one side . From the consistency, I believe that they are boiled or steamed first.
This is what I was trying to say.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the US, ravioli is never stuffed with noodles.

That's my point. Ravioli are pasta parcels stuffed with something. The only way to make them "Chinese ravioli" would be to stuff them with something Chinese - for me, that's rice, noodles, stir-fried veg or meat. So if Jiaozi are not small pasta parcels stuffed with something traditionally Chinese, then I don't think calling them "Chinese ravioli" would help anyone.

registered

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
That's my point. Ravioli are pasta parcels stuffed with something. The only way to make them "Chinese ravioli" would be to stuff them with something Chinese - for me, that's rice, noodles, stir-fried veg or meat. So if Jiaozi are not small pasta parcels stuffed with something traditionally Chinese, then I don't think calling them "Chinese ravioli" would help anyone.
Jiaozi are small pasta parcels stuffed with chopped meat and vegetables. We boil them in water or steam them, and then ladle them out, place in a plate, and then we can eat. Before we put it into the mouth, we dip it in some condiment for a second to improve the flavor.
Pot sticker is fried Jiaozi.

Status
Not open for further replies.