Do you know what Jiaozi is? Is it a dumpling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

registered

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
For a long time, we Chinese use "dumpling" represent "Jiaozi" which is like a ravioli, but different...Jiaozi is steamed or boiled in water, and we dip it in condiment for a second when we eat.
I put a picture here.u1441658d2011-08-15-17-03-59-0696-111.jpg
Recently, I found that "dumpling" refers to another food, which is a small ball of dough cooked and served with stew...
Obviously, Jiaozi is not a ball of dough. So, I think "dumpling" is not a good translation.
I ask this question just want to know whether westerners know what "Jiaozi" is, if I use this word directly.
Or, do you have any better translation about this food.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Recently, I found that "dumpling" refers to another food, which is a small ball of dough cooked and served with stew...
Obviously, Jiaozi is not a ball of dough. So, I think "dumpling" is not a good translation.
Many words have more than one meaning, and dumpling is the word that is commonly used. You can call it a Chinese dumpling so that there's no confusion. They're wrapped in dough, which is possibly why the term is used.

I ask this question just want to know whether westerners know what "Jiaozi" is, if I use this word directly.
Those who are familiar with Asian cuisine may know it, but many people will not.

There is a Wikipedia page on jiaozi: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiaozi, but that doesn't make it a standard term.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I still use the rolling pin a colleague in China gave me after I passed my jiaozi-making test.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Even if I didn't know what they were, if I went to a Chinese restaurant and saw "dumplings" on the menu, I wouldn't necessarily assume that they would be the same sort of dumplings we're used to in the UK.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I still use the rolling pin a colleague in China gave me after I passed my jiaozi-making test.

Yes, but what do you use it for?! :shock:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yes, but what do you use it for?! :shock:
For making jiaozi, of course! I'll make you some next time you come to Prague.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For a long time, we Chinese use "dumpling" represent "Jiaozi" which is like a ravioli, but different...Jiaozi is steamed or boiled in water, and we dip it in condiment for a second when we eat.
I put a picture here.View attachment 1665
Or, do you have any better translation about this food.

Most people I know would not confuse "dumplings" in a Chinese restaurant with European "dumplings". As with many other things, context is important. In New York, Chinese dumplings are often called "pot stickers". When they are fried crispy, we often call them "wontons".

registered

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Many words have more than one meaning, and dumpling is the word that is commonly used. You can call it a Chinese dumpling so that there's no confusion. They're wrapped in dough, which is possibly why the term is used.

Those who are familiar with Asian cuisine may know it, but many people will not.

If I introduce it as "Chinese ravioli", will it be a better translation than only "dumpling"?

registered

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Most people I know would not confuse "dumplings" in a Chinese restaurant with European "dumplings". As with many other things, context is important. In New York, Chinese dumplings are often called "pot stickers". When they are fried crispy, we often call them "wontons".

Pot sticker is fried dumpling, and "dumpling" I mentioned before is cooked by boiling or steaming.
And actually, "wonton" in China means another food, and we call it "chaoshou", whose "skin" is much thinner than dumpling, and the shape is not the same either.

Last edited:

registered

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Even if I didn't know what they were, if I went to a Chinese restaurant and saw "dumplings" on the menu, I wouldn't necessarily assume that they would be the same sort of dumplings we're used to in the UK.
But our foreign teacher was confused about it. When we introduced it, he believed that "dumpling" is not yummy...
After he tried the Chinese dumpling one time, he thought "ravioli" might be a better word for this dish. So I'm confused now, compared with "ravioli", "dumpling" is not the better one?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Pot sticker is cooked by frying, I think that is little confusing.
Dumpling I mentioned is cooked by boiling or steaming.
Which meaning do your "wonton" mean? The first one or the second?
And actually, "wonton" in China means another food, and we call it "chaoshou".

A pot sticker is browned on one side and then simmered. From the consistency, I believe that they are boiled or steamed first.

I have no idea how fried wontons are prepared.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But our foreign teacher was confused about it. When we introduced it, he believed that "dumpling" is not yummy...
After he tried the Chinese dumpling one time, he thought "ravioli" might be a better word for this dish. So I'm confused now, compared with "ravioli", "dumpling" is not the better one?

I would not call them ravioli. Completely different.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If I introduce it as "Chinese ravioli", will it be a better translation than only "dumpling"?
Unlike Mike, I think 'Chinese ravioli' gives a better idea of what a jiaozi is than 'Chinese dumpling'. However. 'dumpling' is the word most commonly used by Chinese restaurants and known by their clients. I don't think we are going to change it now.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I don't think we are going to change it now.
However, I do remember when New Zeaalnd fruit growers successfully changed the name of their product from 'Chinese Gooseberry' to 'Kiwi Fruit'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
However, I do remember when New Zeaalnd fruit growers successfully changed the name of their product from 'Chinese Gooseberry' to 'Kiwi Fruit'.

There are probably some people who still use the old name. We recently started selling a new dehydrated fruit snack in my shop. We have had to put up a sign by it, reading "These are dehydrated Goldenberries (aka Physalis aka Cape Gooseberries aka Incanberries)".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Unlike Mike, I think 'Chinese ravioli' gives a better idea of what a jiaozi is than 'Chinese dumpling'. However. 'dumpling' is the word most commonly used by Chinese restaurants and known by their clients. I don't think we are going to change it now.

If you are ever in New York, I will take you to Little Italy for real ravioli. And then we can go to Chinatown for pot stickers. :-D

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

It seems a more accurate description; the only problem is that few will understand what you're talking about. The term dumplings is common and established.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
With no better idea of what it was, "Chinese Ravioli" would suggest to me small parcels made of two sheets of pasta stuffed with noodles and stir-fried vegetables/meat and then boiled. If that's what they are, great. If it's not, it's a misleading description.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
With no better idea of what it was, "Chinese Ravioli" would suggest to me small parcels made of two sheets of pasta stuffed with noodles and stir-fried vegetables/meat and then boiled. If that's what they are, great. If it's not, it's a misleading description.

In the US, ravioli is never stuffed with noodles.

Status
Not open for further replies.