Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Aug 2012
    • Posts: 139
    #1

    Will vs Simple Present Tense

    Hi!

    I was studying tenses in my grammar book that I ran into future tense. One of the usages that is mentioned in my grammar book for "will" is volition. It defines volition as "want to". And also it mentions negative volition. Now, what is the difference between these two sentences based on the definition that I provided for "volition".

    If you will wash the dishes, I'll dry them. (This sentence is mentioned in the book to show the usage of "will" in its volition meaning)
    If you wash the dishes, I'll dry them. (My own example)

    He will not take orders from anyone. (This sentence is mentioned in the book to show the usage of "will" in its negative volition meaning)
    He does not take order from anyone. (My own example)

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #2

    Re: Will vs Simple Present Tense

    Quote Originally Posted by toloue_man View Post
    Hi!

    I was studying tenses in my grammar book that I ran into future tense. One of the usages that is mentioned in my grammar book for "will" is volition. It defines volition as "want to". And also it mentions negative volition. Now, what is the difference between these two sentences based on the definition that I provided for "volition".

    If you will wash the dishes, I'll dry them. (This sentence is mentioned in the book to show the usage of "will" in its volition meaning)
    If you wash the dishes, I'll dry them. (My own example)

    He will not take orders from anyone. (This sentence is mentioned in the book to show the usage of "will" in its negative volition meaning)
    He does not take order from anyone. (My own example)
    "Volition" includes more than "to want to". It expresses a conscious decision to do or not do something. In that sense, it also means "to agree". to".

    If you will wash (agree to wash) the dishes (and actually do it), I will dry them.
    If you wash (actually do it) the dishes, I will dry them.

    He will not take orders from anyone. (a prediction based on past habits/actions)
    He does not take orders from anyone. (a statement of fact/opinion based on past habits/actions)

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Aug 2012
    • Posts: 139
    #3

    Re: Will vs Simple Present Tense

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    He will not take orders from anyone. (a prediction based on past habits/actions)
    As I said before, the book mentions the above sentence to show negative volition not prediction. The book also mentions the prediction usage of "will". However, when I think now I see that there is overlap between different usages of "will" and you cannot assuredly distinguish between them.

    Let's consider this sentence, the book mentions this sentence to show intention usage of "will".

    The accountant will do all the work himself.

    Simultaneously, this sentence can also show other usages of "will":

    It can show promise, maybe, the accountant has promised to do so.
    It can also show prediction, maybe, the speaker is predicting that the accountant will do so.
    It can also show volition, maybe, the speaker has agreed to do so and really do it in the future.

    Do you agree with me?

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #4

    Re: Will vs Simple Present Tense

    Quote Originally Posted by toloue_man View Post
    As I said before, the book mentions the above sentence to show negative volition not prediction. The book also mentions the prediction usage of "will". However, when I think now I see that there is overlap between different usages of "will" and you cannot assuredly distinguish between them.

    Let's consider this sentence, the book mentions this sentence to show intention usage of "will".

    The accountant will do all the work himself.

    Simultaneously, this sentence can also show other usages of "will":

    It can show promise, maybe, the accountant has promised to do so.
    It can also show prediction, maybe, the speaker is predicting that the accountant will do so.
    It can also show volition, maybe, the speaker has agreed to do so and really do it in the future.

    Do you agree with me?
    Yes, "will" has many meanings.

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #5

    Re: Will vs Simple Present Tense

    We need real context before we can be reasonably sure what 'will' means exactly. Even then we cannot be completely sure about what the speaker had in mind.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Aug 2012
    • Posts: 139
    #6

    Re: Will vs Simple Present Tense

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    We need real context before we can be reasonably sure what 'will' means exactly. Even then we cannot be completely sure about what the speaker had in mind.
    Yes. I agree with you. The book only mentions a short sentence.

  4. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #7

    Re: Will vs Simple Present Tense

    Quote Originally Posted by toloue_man View Post
    Yes. I agree with you. The book only mentions a short sentence.
    One short sentence does not a "will" make.

  5. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #8

    Re: Will vs Simple Present Tense

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    One short sentence does not a "will" make.
    I bequeath all my property, real and otherwise, to my mistress, Deliilah Featherstonhaugh.

  6. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #9

    Re: Will vs Simple Present Tense

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    I bequeath all my property, real and otherwise, to my mistress, Deliilah Featherstonhaugh.
    I take it all back if your son agrees.

Similar Threads

  1. Simple Past tense or Present perfect tense?
    By Martina Durisova in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Dec-2012, 19:21
  2. present perfect tense vs simple past tense
    By aysaa in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25-Dec-2011, 00:20
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-Aug-2007, 13:09
  4. about present continuos tense and simple present tense
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-Sep-2006, 19:07
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27-Oct-2004, 01:21

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •