• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

No one realised that the little boy was missing until it was dismissal time.

Which is the correct transformed sentence? If both are correct, which is the preferred sentence. Thanks.

It was dismissal time before someone realised that the little boy was missing.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: No one realised that the little boy was missing until it was dismissal time.

Quote Originally Posted by kohyoongliat View Post

Which is the correct transformed sentence? If both are correct, which is the preferred sentence. Thanks.

The sentences are equivalent and have the same meaning.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Re: No one realised that the little boy was missing until it was dismissal time.

Thanks, Mike.

I think the first sentence is better because the second states that someone realised that the little boy was missing. The reason I think so is that it may not be only one person who discovered the little boy had been lost. It could be more than one person. The first sentence structure is closer to the first. Do you agree with my reasoning? Thanks, again.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

I think you are splitting hairs. The first implies that someone noticed he was missing. it is unlikely that two people will notice that at exactly the same time. I agree with Mike: The sentences are equivalent and have the same meaning.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Thanks, Mike.

I think the first sentence is better because the second states that someone realised that the little boy was missing. The reason I think so is that it may not be only one person who discovered the little boy had been lost. It could be more than one person. The first sentence structure is closer to the first. Do you agree with my reasoning? Thanks, again.
    And I agree with 5jj.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

1. No one realised that the little boy was missing until it was dismissal time.

2. No one realised that the little boy was missing until it was dismissal time.

3. It was dismissal time before someone realised that the little boy was missing.
    I'm having trouble seeing the transformation between 1 and 2. Having read them over several times, I'm convinced they are the same sentence. Given that, wouldn't 2 be more likely to mean exactly the same as 1 than 3 does?
    But it also means that 2 is not a transformed sentence. If it is, shouldn't 1 be the index sentence.
    What does the correct transformed sentence mean? Surely there are potentially many.

PS: I'm also having trouble with this from post #3: "The first sentence structure is closer to the first". Wouldn't you expect that if they are the same sentence? Are you really asking whether a certain sentence is closer in meaning to itself than to a different sentence?
    Last edited by Raymott; 28-Oct-2013 at 08:52.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Thanks, Raymott.

Your eyes are sharp.

The first sentence should read:

No one realised that the boy was missing before it was dismissal time.

But it does not make sense to me, on second thoughts.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Thanks, Raymott.

Your eyes are sharp.

The first sentence should read:

No one realised that the boy was missing before it was dismissal time.

But it does not make sense to me, on second thoughts.
    Phew! I thought it could be me. ;)

It makes sense with those words removed, but it also introduces an ambiguity; and a semantic question about whether you can be missing if you're not missed by anyone.