Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello, teachers.
As far as I know, abjective is used after 'feel'
Then what about this sentence that I encountered.

The study revealed that people tend to have a greater affection toward names that are easy to pronounce than those that are hard to pronounce and that people would feel more positively toward names that are relatively easy to pronounce.

Is it okay?
If it is can you tell me why?
Thank you.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello, teachers.

The study revealed that people tend to have a greater affection toward names that are easy to pronounce than those that are hard to pronounce and that people would feel more positively toward names that are relatively easy to pronounce.

Is it okay?
Thank you.
I feel strongly that whether you use an adjective or an adverb depends on what you want to say.
Yes, it's OK. There's probably little difference between feeling positive toward something and feeling positively toward it. The meaning is technically different but, pragmatically, in this case they mean the same.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello, teachers.

Is it okay?
Thank you.

I agree with Raymott, but I would choose the adjective "positive".

Jennie Lee

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I feel strongly that whether you use an adjective or an adverb depends on what you want to say.
Yes, it's OK. There's probably little difference between feeling positive toward something and feeling positively toward it. The meaning is technically different but, pragmatically, in this case they mean the same.

Thank you for your kind answer.
Have a wonderful day. :lol:

Jennie Lee

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I agree with Raymott, but I would choose the adjective "positive".

And can I ask you the reason that you would choose adjective in this case?
The suttle difference between expressions is always difficult to grasp.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And can I ask you the reason that you would choose adjective in this case?
The subtle difference between expressions is always difficult to grasp.

I don't see any difference in meaning, but technically, the adverb is wrong grammatically. In that use, "feel" is a linking verb and it should take an adjective. You will, however, run across the use of the adverb in that construction. By the way, Raymott's use of "I feel strongly" is considered correct because "feel" is not a linking verb in that case.

Jennie Lee

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I don't see any difference in meaning, but technically, the adverb is wrong grammatically. In that use, "feel" is a linking verb and it should take an adjective. You will, however, run across the use of the adverb in that construction. By the way, Raymott's use of "I feel strongly" is considered correct because "feel" is not a linking verb in that case.

Thank you.
What I'd like to know was whether the use of adverb is technically correct in the above sentence.."feel positively toward.... ."
And your answer really helped.

And "I feel strongly" is wonderful example that "feel" doesn't need any abjective. (Thank you, Raymott.)

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
We are not very big on technically correct here. We prefer to focus on actual current usage: "English as she is spoke" in the words of the 19th century Portuguese writer Pedro Carolino.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We are not very big on technically correct here. We prefer to focus on actual current usage: "English as she is spoke" in the words of the 19th century Portuguese writer Pedro Carolino.

Well, I have my limits in that regard. The OP's original use of "positively" is only a minor error. By contrast, "Me and Bobby be going to the park" is another matter.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Whether we concern ourselves with "technically correct" or not depends very much on the purpose of what is being written. In exams and formal situations, we generally recommend the grammatically correct version of almost everything. When people are going to be chatting to their friends or at a party, we're more likely to tell them how we actually speak on a day-to-day basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.