Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

Hello,
What does a "pumpkin patch" (as in: "A pumpkin patch was offering hayrides.") mean?
Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It is usually a patch of ground on which pumpkins are being grown.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What is the context?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Here's a pumpkin patch. The growers are offering rides in a haycart as an added attraction for buyers.

images

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you all. So it's a cultural thing. People in the US that grow pumpkins can also offer hayrides sometimes.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you all. So it's a cultural thing. People in the US [STRIKE]that [/STRIKE] who grow pumpkins can also offer hayrides sometimes.
It is not just farmers who raise pumpkins. Many people who have enough space, wagons and horses offer hayrides. A neighbor of mine has a building located on a few acres. He rents the building for various and sundry events during the year (auctions, meetings, sales of different types, etc.). During the last weeks of October he offers hayrides on the weekends.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Best Pumpkin Patches Around Pittsburgh « CBS Pittsburgh

It's a common thing here as a sort of fall festival. Hay rides and apple cider, pick a pumpkin or two to take home. Even mazes made of corn to get lost in for a while. The farm or orchard usually sells food and drinks as well, may have entertainers and activities for the kids (face painting, etc.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The whole Hallowe'en thing seems to have made it from the USA to the UK in a big way. We now also have "maize mazes" (corn mazes), pumpkin nights, trick or treat, haunted hayrides etc etc. When I was a child, we saw just a few carved pumpkins and very few kids went "trick-or-treating". Now it's huge - parties for days either side of October 31st, hundreds of dressed-up kids out banging on doors and shops full of Hallowe'en sweets and chocolate. I very much doubt if most people under 30 in the UK have any idea of the original meaning of "All Hallow's Eve".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The whole Hallowe'en thing seems to have made it from the USA to the UK in a big way. We now also have "maize mazes" (corn mazes), pumpkin nights, trick or treat, haunted hayrides etc etc. When I was a child, we saw just a few carved pumpkins and very few kids went "trick-or-treating". Now it's huge - parties for days either side of October 31st, hundreds of dressed-up kids out banging on doors and shops full of Hallowe'en sweets and chocolate. I very much doubt if most people under 30 in the UK have any idea of the original meaning of "All Hallow's Eve".

When I was a child, nothing happened for Hallowe'en- there was a clear run to Bonfire Night.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When I was a child, nothing happened for Hallowe'en- there was a clear run to Bonfire Night.

Is that Guy Fawkes Day/Night?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is that Guy Fawkes Day/Night?

Yes, Guy Fawkes' Night, but these days it's more commonly known as Bonfire Night or Firework(s) Night. Much like Hallowe'en, the number of people in the UK who know the original story of November 5th is rapidly dwindling.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Maybe it's regional, but it was always Bonfire Night for me- and that was in the good old days when history was dates and tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.