• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Negotiating a season

Hello,

I found this text and I don't seem to get what the last phrase says.

"A man with a good overcoat will want for little all winter long容xcept, perhaps, a few options when the temperature starts to vary between the fuh-fuh-fuh-freezing and the merely cold. Try layering with the likes of a tailored tweed overcoat and a lighter-weight performance vest to ensure maximum comfort across multiple climes. Wear them together or wear them apart; when negotiating a season with plenty of tricks up its sleeve, you値l be glad you have the option."

To me, as a non-native English speaker, it should have been something like: "when negotiating WITH a season with plenty of tricks up its sleeve, you値l be glad you have the option". Is this an unusual construction or am I just acting as a grammar nazi? Or maybe it actually says something different.

Thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Negotiating a season

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia Garett View Post
    Hello,

I found this text and I don't seem to get what the last phrase says.

"A man with a good overcoat will want for little all winter long容xcept, perhaps, a few options when the temperature starts to vary between the fuh-fuh-fuh-freezing and the merely cold. Try layering with the likes of a tailored tweed overcoat and a lighter-weight performance vest to ensure maximum comfort across multiple climes. Wear them together or wear them apart; when negotiating a season with plenty of tricks up its sleeve, you値l be glad you have the option."

To me, as a non-native English speaker, it should have been something like: "when negotiating WITH a season with plenty of tricks up its sleeve, you値l be glad you have the option". Is this an unusual construction or am I just acting as a grammar nazi? Or maybe it actually says something different.

Thank you
    To negotiate could mean to reach an agreement or to live through a time or an event. For example, "The Union negotiated with the company all winter. Staff members found that when negotiating the snowy roads of the city they had to allow more time than usual to arrive on time".

Generally, if you speak to someone, you negotiate "with". If you endure something, you "negotiate".