Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Mexico
      • Current Location:
      • Mexico

    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 28
    #1

    What is the appropriate word for a robbeyr?

    When you are walking on the street and someone stops you in order to get your money, would you say...
    "I saw a robber robbing a young man"?
    I also wandered if this expression would be redundant...
    Thank you.

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #2

    Re: What is the appropriate word for a robbeyr?

    Quote Originally Posted by papirrines View Post
    When you are walking on the street and someone stops you in order to get your money, would you say...
    "I saw a robber robbing a young man"?
    I also wandered if this expression would be redundant...
    Thank you.
    If you are the one who is robbed, you would not say the sentence you wrote. You would say: "I was mugged or I was robbed".
    If you witnessed this event, you could say: "I saw a young man being mugged/robbed".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Mexico
      • Current Location:
      • Mexico

    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 28
    #3

    Re: What is the appropriate word for a robbeyr?

    Thank you MikeNewYork, but I still have the doubt of the use of this sentence in active voice. In my opinion it is redundant and I have never heard something like that, so I would like to know if it is possible to say something like that without sounding weird, redundant...

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #4

    Re: What is the appropriate word for a robbeyr?

    Quote Originally Posted by papirrines View Post
    Thank you MikeNewYork, but I still have the doubt of the use of this sentence in active voice. In my opinion it is redundant and I have never heard something like that, so I would like to know if it is possible to say something like that without sounding weird, redundant...
    When you said "something like that" to what did you refer?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Mexico
      • Current Location:
      • Mexico

    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 28
    #5

    Re: What is the appropriate word for a robbeyr?

    I'm sorry I didn't write the sentence! Well, now that I read it again, it sounds really weird, but you can tell me more for sure. The sentences would be: "I saw a robber robbing a young man" or "I saw a mugger mugging a young man". It sounds so weird to me! Is it correct to write or say that?

  3. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #6

    Re: What is the appropriate word for a robbeyr?

    Quote Originally Posted by papirrines View Post
    I'm sorry I didn't write the sentence! Well, now that I read it again, it sounds really weird, but you can tell me more for sure. The sentences would be: "I saw a robber robbing a young man" or "I saw a mugger mugging a young man". It sounds so weird to me! Is it correct to write or say that?
    No, in both cases the words are repetitive. For the noun, you can use man, woman, boy, girl, thug, junkie, gang member, person, etc. to avoid the repetition.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 18-Jun-2012, 18:43
  2. [Vocabulary] English word for tamil word thali
    By selvaece2004 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-Nov-2009, 14:01
  3. Whats the word to describe an unncessary word??
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-May-2008, 20:10
  4. Word Checker 1 - The Dolch basic word list
    By Tdol in forum UsingEnglish.com Content
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24-May-2004, 13:26
  5. Word Checker 1 - The Dolch basic word list
    By Tdol in forum UsingEnglish.com Content
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19-Apr-2004, 15:30

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •