Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Apr 2013
    • Posts: 276
    #1

    maybe, perhaps, probably, possibly, likely that

    Please tell me the difference in using maybe, perhaps, probably, possibly, likely that.
    It would be very nice if you explain with example.
    Thanks

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #2

    Re: maybe, perhaps, probably, possibly, likely that

    Quote Originally Posted by shibli.aftab View Post
    Please tell me the difference in using maybe, perhaps, probably, possibly, likely that.
    It would be very nice if you explain with example.
    Thanks
    Have you looked up these words in a dictionary? Some dictionaries will provide a couple of examples. Once you have done that, try making up some example sentences and post them here. We will then give you feedback.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,462
    #3

    Re: maybe, perhaps, probably, possibly, likely that

    shibli.aftab, bookmark the OneLook Dictionary Search for future reference.

    Some of those free online dictionaries will give you examples of your words in context.
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 31-Oct-2013 at 10:16.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Apr 2013
    • Posts: 276
    #4

    Re: maybe, perhaps, probably, possibly, likely that

    I looked up all these words and made conclusion that all these words are interchangeable.
    Am I right?

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #5

    Re: maybe, perhaps, probably, possibly, likely that

    Quote Originally Posted by shibli.aftab View Post
    I looked up all these words and made conclusion that all these words are interchangeable.
    Am I right?
    No. How did you infer that 'possibly' means 'probably'? Can you see any difference?

  3. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #6

    Re: maybe, perhaps, probably, possibly, likely that

    Quote Originally Posted by shibli.aftab View Post
    I looked up all these words and made conclusion that all these words are interchangeable.
    Am I right?
    Not at all.

    "Maybe", "perhaps", and "possibly" are closely related, but not interchangeable in all uses. "Probably" and "likely" are closely related, but not to the other three.

  4. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #7

    Re: maybe, perhaps, probably, possibly, likely that

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    "Probably" and "likely" are closely related, but not to the other three.
    In British English, however;, 'likely' functions mainly as an adjective.

  5. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #8

    Re: maybe, perhaps, probably, possibly, likely that

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    In British English, however;, 'likely' functions mainly as an adjective.
    Yes, but do you say: We will likely do something, go somewhere, etc.?

  6. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #9

    Re: maybe, perhaps, probably, possibly, likely that

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    Yes, but do you say: We will likely do something, go somewhere, etc.?
    That is not correct for most us, though such constructions are appearing.

    We say 'We are are likely to do something' or 'It is likely that we will do something'.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Could you possibly help me
    By Nima1000 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 19-Oct-2012, 21:24
  2. could possibly know that already
    By ostap77 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-Nov-2010, 18:20
  3. likely, probably, possibly
    By billy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-Jan-2010, 23:30
  4. can/could not possibly
    By joham in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Nov-2008, 19:37
  5. likely, possibly
    By nimsooze in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-Feb-2007, 09:53

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •