Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Belgium
Hello everybody,

Could anyone help me to understand the missing parts in the following sentences?

Here is what I hear:

1. "The responsiveness of ultrasound was tested in patients (naive???) of biological treatment."

After some research, I found that it could be "naive to biological treatment". But then what does it mean? That the patients are not told, or are not aware they are being treated?

2. "We are not limited by the acoustic window like by ultrasound. We can see the bone of a (tree? three?) under (other?) (than?) 60 degrees."

Anyway, thank you very much in advance for your help.

Attachments

• US_RA_01.mp3
    141.6 KB · Views: 5
  • US_RA_02.mp3
    150.2 KB · Views: 8

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I can see why you are having problems making things out. The speaker has a pretty thick accent.

In the first example she says "naive of". I think this unnatural and prefer naive to. In any case, this medical jargon use of naive just means that the patient has no prior experience of the thing referred to.

In the second she says "We can see the bone over three hundred and sixty degrees."

nunbird

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Belgium
Thank you so much for your invaluable (?) help, probus.

It's interesting that you think I have problems because of her thick accent, I think, as it is just because of her accent that I can understand most of what she says. I must admit that it's much easier for me, as a non-English speaker, to understand someone with such an accent (although I obviously misunderstood these parts).

No offense, it's easier because I must have a similar accent myself.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In the second she says "We can see the bone over three hundred and sixty degrees."
I listened to that half a dozen times and couldn't get it. I was only after I read your post that I (just about) managed to make it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.