• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Tenses:discussing events in movie/comic with friend

Which verb tenses could be used if I were to have a conversation with a friend about a literary work such as a comic that we had read recently or a year ago?

Also, If in that comic a present event (Chapter 2) alluded to a previous event (Chapter 1) , could a past tense be used to described that previous event such as in the form of present tense (present event) + past tense (past event)?

Sites such as Purdue Online Writing Lab recommend using present tense, but I have noticed that some people in the forums that I frequent use present + past tense to discuss/speculate the events that happened or will happen in the comics that they are reading.

So I am extremely confused.
    Last edited by phenux; 01-Nov-2013 at 07:50.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: Tenses:discussing events in movie/comic with friend

Welcome to the forum, phenux.

Could you give an example of a short conversation of the sort you are asking about? It will be much easier for us to give a satisfactory response if we see a concrete example.

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Thank you for your warm welcome, 5jj.

Summary of events in present tense as is recommended by Purdue Writing Lab:

Chapter 1, released last week: Bullet Boy defeats Metal Knight, but his ability, Lock On, get sealed.

Chapter 2, released this week: Unable to use his Lock On ability, Bullet Boy get defeated by Rubber Girl.

Conversation I made up using present tense to connect the events:

Friend A:

See, I told you that Bullet Boy is totally weak. Rubber Girl --she is smoking hot!-- demolishes him in like 10 seconds, and he barely defeats Metal Knight in their match. # I want to practice using punctuation marks so I use them when I can. Since it is my first time using --/dash, I am not sure if the above usage is appropriate.

Me:

Dude, you must be smoking something, the only reason that Rubber Girl --not hot at all!-- is able to defeat him is because Metal Knight seals his Lock On ability.

Conversation I made up using present (ch2) and past (ch1) tense to connect the events:

Friend A:

See, I told you that Bullet Boy is totally weak. Rubber Girl --she is smoking hot!-- demolishes him in like 10 seconds, and he barely defeated Metal Knight in their match.

Me:

Dude, you must be smoking something, the only reason that Rubber Girl --not hot at all!-- is able to defeat him is because Metal Knight sealed his Lock On ability.

If the above comic were completed a year ago and we, now, had a conversation about it; would the tense change?
    Last edited by phenux; 01-Nov-2013 at 22:18.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by phenux View Post
    Chapter 1, released last week: Bullet Boy defeats Metal Knight, but his ability, Lock On, gets sealed.

Chapter 2, released this week: Unable to use his Lock On ability, Bullet Boy gets defeated by Rubber Girl.
    Note the two corrections I made
    Friend A: See, I told you that Bullet Boy is totally weak. Rubber Girl --she is smoking hot!-- demolishes him in like 10 seconds, and he barely defeats Metal Knight in their match. # I want to practice using punctuation marks so I use them when I can. Since it is my first time using --/dash, I am not sure if the above usage is appropriate.
    In such informal conversation, I don't think anyone would worry about the formalities of em and en dashes. Given that most keyboards have just a single symbol (-), use that: Rubber girl - she is smoking hot - demolishes him ...
    Conversation I made up using present (ch2) and past (ch1) tense to connect the events:

Friend A: See, I told you that Bullet Boy is totally weak. Rubber Girl --she is smoking hot!-- demolishes him in like 10 seconds, and he barely defeated Metal Knight in their match.Me: Dude, you must be smoking something, the only reason that Rubber Girl --not hot at all!-- is able to defeat him is because Metal Knight sealed his Lock On ability.

If the above comic were completed a year ago and we, now, had a conversation about it; would the tense change?
    It rather depends on whether you are talking about the comics as things that you read in the past or as things you have in front of you at the moment of talking. In any case, in such informal conversations, the participants frequently use present tenses when old fogeys like me would use past tenses. There is no absolute right or wrong here.

5. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Okay I got it and thank you for your fast response, 5jj