Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Ireland
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Mar 2011
    • Posts: 37
    #1

    "In the event..." or "In the eventuality..."

    Which is better?

    "In the event..." or "In the eventuality..."

    Eventuality is the possibility of an event, but if you are describing a hypothetical situation, does that mean that "in the eventuality" is better?

    For example, say Hilary Clinton ran for president in 2016. Would it better to say

    "In the eventuality that she won, Ms Clinton would be the first female president of the US" or would "In the event.." be better?

    Are there instances in which "in the event" would be better?

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,615
    #2

    Re: "In the event..." or "In the eventuality..."

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggers View Post
    Which is better?

    "In the event..." or "In the eventuality..."

    Eventuality is the possibility of an event, but if you are describing a hypothetical situation, does that mean that "in the eventuality" is better?

    For example, say Hilary Clinton ran for president in 2016. Would it better to say

    "In the eventuality that she won, Ms Clinton would be the first female president of the US" or would "In the event.." be better?

    Are there instances in which "in the event" would be better?
    "In the event that she wins..." seems more natural to me.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,310
    #3

    Re: "In the event..." or "In the eventuality..."

    How about just "if she wins"?

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,615
    #4

    Re: "In the event..." or "In the eventuality..."

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    How about just "if she wins"?
    That's probably what I would use.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Ireland
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Mar 2011
    • Posts: 37
    #5

    Re: "In the event..." or "In the eventuality..."

    Sorry, the example given might not have been great; I was primarily interested in the contrast between "event" and "eventuality".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,310
    #6

    Re: "In the event..." or "In the eventuality..."

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggers View Post
    Sorry, the example given might not have been great; I was primarily interested in the contrast between "event" and "eventuality".
    I can't think of any example where "eventuality" does anything other than add some extra syllables to what you are trying to say.

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #7

    Re: "In the event..." or "In the eventuality..."

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    I can't think of any example where "eventuality" does anything other than add some extra syllables to what you are trying to say.
    'Eventuality' does have a use in the plural. "We have to think of all eventualities", meaning all possible outcomes. But it's not a word that I'd use. I'd prefer, "We have to think of all possible outcomes", which is even longer than the sentence with 'eventualities', but more easily understood.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17-Sep-2012, 04:23
  2. Usage of "neighbor", "neighboring", "neighbored", "nearby"
    By Fabulous_Learner in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 13-Sep-2012, 15:11
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-Jul-2012, 19:53
  4. [Vocabulary] Difference between "health" and "wellness", "Diagnosis" and "Analysis"
    By tobysky in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Dec-2010, 23:43
  5. confusing words "expressed" or "express" and "named" or"names"
    By Dawood Usmani in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2007, 19:33

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •