Most of the confidences were unsought-frequently I have ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
In consequence, I'm inclined to reserve all judgments, a habit that has opened up many curious natures to me and also made me the victim of not a few veteran bores. The abnormal mind is quick to detect and attach itself to this quality when it appears in a normal person, and so it came about that in college I was unjustly accused of being a politician, because I was privy to the secret griefs of wild, unknown men. Most of the confidences were unsought-frequently I have feigned sleep, preoccupation, or a hostile levity when I realized by some unmistakable sign that an intimate revelation was quivering on the horizon; for the intimate revelations of young men, or at least the terms in which they express them, are usually plagiaristic and marred by obvious suppressions.

Source: The Great Gatsby http://www.publicbookshelf.com/ficti...er-vulnerable

Hello my friends,

I know the meanings of each word in the blue written part but I can't understand it as a whole.
Would you please be nice enough to paraphrase it to me?

Many thanks.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
People have told him their "secrets" without him asking for them to. To try to avoid this, he has pretended to be asleep, to be preoccupied with other things, or even to "humorously" tell them he doesn't want to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.