Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'm in trouble with the sentence below which I underlined , could anyone please simplify it for me?
I also would like to know if the "mob-handed" is an adjective and means: informal??

A virtue of dealing with Liverpool back then was that they would all come into my office mob-handed after the game. I inherited the tradition of every member of our staff going in to see them at Anfield and each one on their side reciprocating at Old Trafford.

Thanks

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I'm in trouble with the sentence below which I underlined , could anyone please simplify it for me?
I also would like to know if the "mob-handed" is an adjective and means: informal??

A virtue of dealing with Liverpool back then was that they would all come into my office mob-handed after the game. I inherited the tradition of every member of our staff going in to see them at Anfield and each one on their side reciprocating at Old Trafford.

Thanks

Definition of mob-handed | Collins English Dictionary

Sepmre

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I would appreciate if someone could simplfy it for me.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Thanks
It's about cricket, and going to cricket matches.
I'm going to assume you know what "I inherited the tradition of every member of our staff" means.
The tradition is going to see them (the cricket-players) at Anfield and "the others" (each one on their side) would do the same at Old Trafford. Whether "the others" were cricket players or members of another staff, I don't know without more context.
For example, it would be useful to know the relations between Liverpool, Anfield and Old Trafford; who the speaker is and what is "his staff" etc.

PS: Well, I think it's cricket. Your new question mentioning a "dugout" makes me less sure.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Anfield is a football stadium, the home of Liverpool.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sepmre

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
5JJ is right, the context which I'm reading is about Football written by Alex Ferguson.

Thank you anyway.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

Without knowing the fuller context, I'm suggesting it means this.
He inherited a tradition in which the coaching staff of the visiting club would visit the home-team manager's office, as a group (mob-handed), after each game.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Anfield is a football stadium, the home of Liverpool.

And Old Trafford is where Manchester United play.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Confusingly, less than half a mile from Manchester United's stadium is a large cricket ground - also called 'Old Trafford' - the home of Lancashire County Cricket Club and a venue for international cricket test matches.

i can't help feeling that most of Sepmre's questions over the next few weeks are going to be about football and especially Alex Ferguson's autobiography.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
i can't help feeling that most of Sepmre's questions over the next few weeks are going to be about football and especially Alex Ferguson's autobiography.
:-(

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm surprised that anyone associated with football can write anything complicated enough to need explanation.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm surprised that anyone associated with football can write anything complicated enough to need explanation.
I'm surprised that you should think that anyone associated with football could write coherently.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
or even write.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It would be a courtesy to us and a help to him/her to let us know. If he'd told us it was about football, I wouldn't have postulated that it was about cricket. (The illiteracy of footballers referred to above also threw me off).

Status
Not open for further replies.