Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I am reading a book on translation theory and come across the chapter dealing with Venuti's foreignization method, which he also terms resistancy. It is a non-fluent or estranging translation style designed to make visible the presence of the translator by highlighting the foreign identity of the source text and protecting it from the ideological dominance of the target culture.
Venuti gives an extract as an example of what he means by this approach. It is said that the following extract contains several foreignizing elements. However, unfortunately, I am not quite able to recognize and sense those elements. Could the dear teachers here help with identifying the elements? I guess as a non-native English speaker, with relevantly non-sufficient reading, i am far from sense the nuances in literature.....
Here is the extract:(a translation from the works by the nineteenth-century Italian Tarchetti, who is a Milanese bohemian)
In 1855, having taken up residence at Pavia, I devoted myself to the study of drawing at a private school in that city; and several months into my sojourn, i developed a close friendship with a certain Federico M., a professor of pathology and clinical medicine who taught at the university and died of severe apoplexy a few months after i became acquainted with him. He was very fond of the sciences and his own in particular-he was gifted with extraordinary mental powers-except that, like all anatomists and doctors generally, he was profoundly and incurable skeptical. He was so by conviction, nor could i ever induce his to accept my beliefs, no matter how much i endeavored in the impassioned, heated discussions we had every day on this point.

many thanks for your explanation!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
When was this translated? If this is a modern translation, then some of the phrases ('several months into my sojourn', 'after I became acquainted with him' do not sound sound very contemporary).

Last edited:

vivianguo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
it's translated in the 1990s.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It doesn't scream 'foreign' at me, but it does use slightly dated words and phrasing, which give it a patina of age without affecting readability.

Status
Not open for further replies.