Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Oct 2013
    • Posts: 7
    #1

    Meaning of "cast into shadow"

    Hey everyone ! I just wanted to know the meaning of the phrase "cast into shadow". The context is here -
    "Curls muss his nearly black hair and cast his face into shadow."
    The time here is night. But I guess that's irrelevant. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 2,013
    #2

    Re: Meaning of "cast into shadow"

    not a teacher

    "Curls muss his nearly black hair and cast his face into shadow."

    His messy curls cause a shadow to fall across his face.

  2. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Oct 2013
    • Posts: 7
    #3

    Re: Meaning of "cast into shadow"

    Quote Originally Posted by JMurray View Post
    not a teacher

    "Curls muss his nearly black hair and cast his face into shadow."

    His messy curls cause a shadow to fall across his face.
    I don't think so, considering it's night. Maybe it means that messy curly hair cast over his face into the the shadow of night. I don't know. You say.

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #4

    Re: Meaning of "cast into shadow"

    Quote Originally Posted by gargS View Post
    I don't think so, considering it's night. Maybe it means that messy curly hair cast over his face into the the shadow of night. I don't know. You say.
    You said in your first post that the fact that it was night was not relevant. Now you're objecting to a reasonable interpretation on the grounds that it's night time.
    Anyhow, "shadow" might be used metaphorically. His curls overshadow his facial features in some way.

  4. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Oct 2013
    • Posts: 7
    #5

    Re: Meaning of "cast into shadow"

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    You said in your first post that the fact that it was night was not relevant. Now you're objecting to a reasonable interpretation on the grounds that it's night time.
    Anyhow, "shadow" might be used metaphorically. His curls overshadow his facial features in some way.
    Hmmm...I agree. Thanks !

  5. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #6

    Re: Meaning of "cast into shadow"

    Quote Originally Posted by gargS View Post
    I don't think so, considering it's night. Maybe it means that messy curly hair cast over his face into the the shadow of night. I don't know. You say.
    One can have shadows at night if there is a light on.

Similar Threads

  1. invalid form of "to cast something in a certain light"
    By matt234 in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-Apr-2013, 02:29
  2. [General] the shadow cast by
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-Jul-2009, 10:37
  3. [Idiom] cast a shadow??
    By Hazar in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Mar-2009, 15:26
  4. Saluation Meaning?? - " May your shadow never be less"
    By Matt1978 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17-Jul-2008, 14:47

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •