• Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Advice needed

Dear teachers,

As you are English instructors and also as I don't really have anyone to ask at all, I asking for some advice from you regarding learning English in an English country. I am going to take a two-month intensive English program in an English country. Currently I have planned to study in USA because I love American accent rather than other accents. I have found an English language institution(multi-site) in USA which has also branches in Canada and England as well. As for its prices, it seems to be quite cheaper in England as opposed to in USA and Canada. To be honest, I want to take the program in a less price too. So if I choose England, would there be a chance to learn American English(accent) or for AmE, must I choose only USA? Please kindly give me some advice. I will be grateful to you.

Thanks in advance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Advice needed

Even if you found a teacher in England to teach you an American form of English, it would not be reinforced by your interactions with people in the course of daily life.

And that is why you want to learn in an English-speaking country, right?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

I have been learning English for many years. I am still not fluent. Currently I am studying at university. I am not bad at Grammar. My professors have recommended that if I want to be fluent quickly, I should be with native speakers. Also I want to quickly improve my English as I am going to attend an international conference(NMUN) in 2015. Now I am learning TESL at my university so having a good knowledge of English is really necessary for me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

You have raised a good point,i.e. interactions. I just noted it. So what advice would you give me?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I think you need to decide if the extra money to go to America is worth it to attempt to learn your preferred accent. I would think that it is very difficult to lose your native tongue accent and that a two-month stint isn't going to change your accent too much.

The immersion in English and the use of it every day is the important thing.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Thank you so much. I agree with you. Two months are not enough. So I may increase the amount of days. The thing is there are very short period of vacations we have from the university. And I am going to take the program during my vacation. I believe though I am good at grammar, I have to learn a lot of things about English. So my main purpose is actually to gain a good knowledge of English and also to be in touch with the accent. Yes! Practice or use is more important. Right now I am following AmE accent by watching movies and listening to VOA news and so on and I am quite used with most of the words by now. Thank you anyway. I got the answer.