Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

Kenny won the League Cup, of course, and reached the final of the FA Cup, but when I heard that he and his assistant Steve Clarke had been summoned to Boston to meet the club’s owners, I feared the worst for them. I don’t think the protest T-shirts and defending Suárez in the Patrice Evra saga helped Kenny. As a manager your head can go in the sand a bit, especially with a great player.

Hi,

What do the underlined words mean? Does it mean the manager can be in trobule a bit??

P.S. Well, I've found the meaning right now; it means "to refuse to confront a problem".

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Kenny won the League Cup, of course, and reached the final of the FA Cup, but when I heard that he and his assistant Steve Clarke had been summoned to Boston to meet the club’s owners, I feared the worst for them. I don’t think the protest T-shirts and defending Suárez in the Patrice Evra saga helped Kenny. As a manager your head can go in the sand a bit, especially with a great player.

Hi,

What do the underlined words mean? Does it mean the manager can be in trobule a bit??

P.S. Well, I've found the meaning right now; it means "to refuse to confront a problem".

Yes, that statement was a reference to a popular but incorrect myth that ostriches bury their heads in the sand to avoid danger. In fact, they run -- very fast. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.