please help me with the INDIRECT SPEECH ( Reported speech)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
->indirect speech: he said (that) he was sad
So i understand that he was sad when he said it, but I just can't give a clear explanation, why?why do we know that it happens at the same time?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So i understand that he was sad when he said it, but I just can't give a clear explanation, why?why do we know that it happens at the same time?

I don't understand your dilemma. If a person says "I am sad", it is clear that the person is sad at the time he/she spoke.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Ok, so if he said he had checked the door means he had checked the door before he said it,if he said he understood ,he understood at the moment when he said it,if he said he would do it means he would do it after he said it ,right?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ok, so if he said he had checked the door means he had checked the door before he said it,if he said he understood ,he understood at the moment when he said it,if he said he would do it means he would do it after he said it ,right?

You are using indirect speech to explain indirect speech. Try making a direct quote and then reporting what was said.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"He said that he was sad" would normally mean that he said, "I am sad." But it could also mean that he said, "I was sad".
You'd have to decide from the context.
"He said that he was unconcious for a few minutes". This can only mean, "He said, 'I was unconscious for a few minutes."'
If you really need to make a distinction in reported speech, you can say, "He said that he had been sad/unconscious." But that doesn't help if the speaker uses the simple past in indirect speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.