Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Phones that have cameras are generally more expensive. ( Why we cannot use which instead of that here ? )

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Freeguy;1023625[COLOR=#38332B said:
(Why [STRIKE]we cannot[/STRIKE] can't we use which instead of that here ? )
We can.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Many quizzes and textbook questions are built to suggest that only one answer is correct. Frequently, having given the "correct" answer, they then provide three other choices without considering whether or not any of those could also be correct. We find lots of poor test questions.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's a very easy mistake to make when writing tests- I've done it. ;-)

However, choosing which as an incorrect answer is odd.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This site thinks otherwise. Please look at its quiz.

Grammatically Speaking

This controversy has been around a long time, at least in AmE. We are taught that "that" should be used for restrictive relative clauses and that "which" should be used for nonrestrictive relative clauses. That has led to a rule about not using "that" in nonrestrictive clause and not using "which" in restrictive clauses. But that part of the rule is a stretch. That said, many users of AmE have been taught this rule.

See the usage note here: that - definition of that by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Freeguy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Still, I have trouble recognizing the best one between THAT and WHICH. It's another question.

The studies about the relation between playing and stimulating the creativity in children in the pre-school age shows that "stimulating the creativity in children ...... to the amount of playing results in what is called innovative thought in a child; because body movement in pre-school ages is the first step of activity, diction, learning, and progress.

1. is directly proportional
2. which is directly proportional
3. that is directly proportional
4. directly proportional to which

( Why not No.3 here? I'm discombobulated by this differences )

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
#3 is possible.

Incidentally, the verb should be 'show', not 'shows'.

Freeguy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
But the answer key claims it must be 2. I lean against both 2 and 3. That's why I've asked you what's difference between them. I sought my sources over and over. I found nothing

Walt Whitman

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
#3 is possible.

Incidentally, the verb should be 'show', not 'shows'.

5jj, why not 1?
I think that the sentence is quite long and (maybe) a bit awkward, though.
WW

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Still, I have trouble recognizing the best one between THAT and WHICH. It's another question.

The studies about the relation between playing and stimulating the creativity in children in the pre-school age shows that "stimulating the creativity in children ...... to the amount of playing results in what is called innovative thought in a child; because body movement in pre-school ages is the first step of activity, diction, learning, and progress.

1. is directly proportional
2. which is directly proportional
3. that is directly proportional
4. directly proportional to which

( Why not No.3 here? I'm discombobulated by this differences )

This is another long, complicated sentence that is not well written. As 5jj posted, the verb "shows" should be "show" to agree with "studies".
If I am reading the sentence correctly, the only phrase I would use to fill the blank is #2, and that phrase needs to be set off by commas because it is nonrestrictive. There is an opening quotation mark before "stimulating", but there is no closing quotation mark. Also, I see no reason for the definite article before "creativity". The final clause is a subordinate clause and should not be set off by a semicolon. I also cannot figure out how that clause connects to the phrase "innovative thought". I would probably rephrase that clause and make it a separate sentence.

The studies about the relation between playing and stimulating creativity in pre-school children show that stimulating creativity in children, which is directly proportional to the amount of playing, results in what is called innovative thought in a child.

(because body movement in pre-school ages is the first step of activity, diction, learning, and progress.)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
5jj, why not 1?
I think that the sentence is quite long and (maybe) a bit awkward, though.
WW

I would not use #1 because it adds a second verb (along with "results") for the subject "stimulating". For that to work, one would have to add the word "and" between "playing" and "results".

Freeguy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I agree with you that if it was nonrestrictive and if we have comma then only WHICH can work here. However, we don't have comma as you mentioned and I've reached an impasse about the accuracy of No.3 in this case.

Freeguy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
This is another long, complicated sentence that is not well written. As 5jj posted, the verb "shows" should be "show" to agree with "studies".
If I am reading the sentence correctly, the only phrase I would use to fill the blank is #2, and that phrase needs to be set off by commas because it is nonrestrictive. There is an opening quotation mark before "stimulating", but there is no closing quotation mark. Also, I see no reason for the definite article before "creativity". The final clause is a subordinate clause and should not be set off by a semicolon. I also cannot figure out how that clause connects to the phrase "innovative thought". I would probably rephrase that clause and make it a separate sentence.

The studies about the relation between playing and stimulating creativity in pre-school children show that stimulating creativity in children, which is directly proportional to the amount of playing, results in what is called innovative thought in a child.

(because body movement in pre-school ages is the first step of activity, diction, learning, and progress.)

I agree with you that if it was nonrestrictive and if we have comma then only WHICH can work here. However, we don't have comma as you mentioned and I've reached an impasse about the accuracy of No.3 in this case

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with you that if it was nonrestrictive and if we have comma then only WHICH can work here. However, we don't have comma as you mentioned and I've reached an impasse about the accuracy of No.3 in this case.

The point is that it needs commas. I didn't write the sentence; I am trying to fix it. ;-)

There are other errors in the sentence.

Walt Whitman

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
The studies about the relation between playing and stimulating the creativity in children in pre-school age (subject) show (verb) that stimulating the creativity in children (subject) is (verb) directly proportional to the amount of playing results [I would parse this as a noun] in what is called innovative thought in a child.

However, I really don’t know whether the sentence would make sense:?:.
WW

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The studies about the relation between playing and stimulating the creativity in children in pre-school age (subject) show (verb) that stimulating the creativity in children (subject) is (verb) directly proportional to the amount of playing results [I would parse this as a noun] in what is called innovative thought in a child.

However, I really don’t know whether the sentence would make sense:?:.
WW

Using "results" as a noun doesn't make any sense. I believe that it is a verb there.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Using "results" as a noun doesn't male any sense. I believe that it is a verb there.

I agree. "It results in [what is called] innovative thought in a child".

Status
Not open for further replies.