Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I help my learner prepare for External Standardised Testing which is held in our country for those who are going to go to university. We are analysing the previous tests. There are some sentences from the part "Use of English" (the text is "The Meaning of Monkey Talk"):
Krak! Hok! Boom! These might sound like random noises to us, but to a species of monkey living in Ivory Coast, they _____
a very specific meaning.
a) pass
b) transport
c) bring
d) carry
The correct answer is "carry".
Having searched the net I made a conclusion the only typical structure with "meaning" is "to have a meaning. Why should we choose "carry", not "bring"? So, what's wrong with a, b, c variants?
Thank you.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I help my learner prepare for External Standardised Testing which is held in our country for those who are going to go to university. We are analysing the previous tests. There are some sentences from the part "Use of English" (the text is "The Meaning of Monkey Talk"):
Krak! Hok! Boom! These might sound like random noises to us, but to a species of monkey living in Ivory Coast, they _____
a very specific meaning.
a) pass
b) transport
c) bring
d) carry
The correct answer is "carry".
Having searched the net I made a conclusion the only typical structure with "meaning" is "to have a meaning. Why should we choose "carry", not "bring"? So, what's wrong with a, b, c variants?
Thank you.

You are right that "have" is far more common, but "carry" is used and it is the only correct option of those given in the test.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Why should we choose "carry", not "bring"?

It's a collocation- that's the way we say it. Bring makes sense, but we don't use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.