Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Sep 2013
    • Posts: 296
    #1

    There are people we meet in life that makes everything seem magical.

    Hi teachers,

    I saw a sentence in an image on facebook; There are people we meet in life that makes everything seem magical.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	969362_760384593978488_637387150_n.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	1676
    In the sentence, I think the word "makes" should be "make" because it modifies "(that)people" and "with" should be added after "meet" or "life".

    What is your opinion?


    Thanks.

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,830
    #2

    Re: There are people we meet in life that makes everything seem magical.

    Quote Originally Posted by kite View Post
    Hi teachers,

    I saw a sentence in an image on facebook; There are people we meet in life that makes everything seem magical.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	969362_760384593978488_637387150_n.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	1676
    In the sentence, I think the word "makes" should be "make" because it modifies "(that)people" and "with" should be added after "meet" or "life".

    What is your opinion?


    Thanks.
    There are three problems with that sentence:

    1) It should be "who" not "that" (because it refers to people).
    2) It should be "make" not "makes" (to agree with "people").
    3) There is no need for "magical" to be capitalised.

    There are people we meet in life who make everything seem magical.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #3

    Re: There are people we meet in life that makes everything seem magical.

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    1) It should be "who" not "that" (because it refers to people).
    I don't think that 'that' is wrong.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Sep 2013
    • Posts: 296
    #4

    Re: There are people we meet in life that makes everything seem magical.

    So "that" is used only for things and animals? I am pretty confused about that.

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,830
    #5

    Re: There are people we meet in life that makes everything seem magical.

    I won't go as far as to say that we don't use "that" for people but in the sentence you posted, I would use "who".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  4. riquecohen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 6,002
    #6

    Re: There are people we meet in life that makes everything seem magical.

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    I don't think that 'that' is wrong.
    I also feel that "that" isn't wrong, but I find ''who" more elegant.

  5. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #7

    Re: There are people we meet in life that makes everything seem magical.

    Quote Originally Posted by kite View Post
    So "that" is used only for things and animals? I am pretty confused about that.
    This is mostly about personal preference. "That" can be used for people, but "who" is more common. Many people, including me, often use "who" for animals.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Sep 2013
    • Posts: 296
    #8

    Re: There are people we meet in life that makes everything seem magical.

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    This is mostly about personal preference. "That" can be used for people, but "who" is more common. Many people, including me, often use "who" for animals.

    Till now I knew that only "which" (also "that") is used only for animals and things and "who"(also "that" sometimes) is used for people. But right now I knew that "who" is also used for animal.

  6. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #9

    Re: There are people we meet in life that makes everything seem magical.

    Quote Originally Posted by kite View Post
    Till now I knew that only "which" (also "that") is used only for animals and things and "who"(also "that" sometimes) is used for people. But right now I knew that "who" is also used for animal.
    Progress.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,845
    #10

    Re: There are people we meet in life that makes everything seem magical.

    Quote Originally Posted by kite View Post
    Till now I knew that only "which" (also "that") is used only for animals and things and "who"(also "that" sometimes) is used for people. But right now I knew that "who" is also used for animal.
    It depends on the animal- a pet is very different from a cockroach. I could use who for a pet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Aug-2013, 11:00
  2. Failure makes people not want to/ don't want to.
    By saloom2 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Feb-2013, 23:02
  3. [General] makes people feel
    By Ashiuhto in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-May-2011, 09:16
  4. How to ask people to meet them
    By h_moinian in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 31-Mar-2008, 20:19
  5. You meet everybody twice in life
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Aug-2007, 23:01

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •