Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,
Sometimes I use the word "my friend" in the forum but I have noticed that some moderators have not liked the way I address them and they have told me that it's not appropriate the way I address them in the forum.
Would you please be kind enough to make it clear that why using "my friend" is not ok to be used to a person who is not my friend? But it brings friendship even between two persons who are not friends. Isn't it a respectful way to address a person who is not my friend?
I got surprised when moderators warned me not to use it.

Thank you very much.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Sometimes I use the word "my friend" in the forum but I have noticed that some moderators have not liked the way I address them and they have told me that it's not appropriate the way I address them in the forum.
Would you please be kind enough to make it clear that why using "my friend" is not ok to be used to a person who is not my friend?
It's simply not an appropriate form of address in English.
But it brings friendship even between two persons who are not friends.
No, it doesn't.
Isn't it a respectful way to address a person who is not my friend?
You have been told that it is not appropriate.
I got surprised when moderators warned me not to use it.
Why should you be surprised when a moderator, or anyone else who responds here, tells you if you use the language inappropriately? One of the reasons most members come here is to have their mistakes corrected.

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks for answering. Then what would you call them to be polite? Will you use titles? [Mrs./Ms./Miss./Mrs] or Sir?
Suppose that you don't know what her name or his name is. Then how would you call him/her?
In our country when we don't exactly know the person's name, we usually say "my friend"
What about you native English speakers? I mean how would you call the person on that time?

Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thanks for answering. Then what would you call them to be polite? Will you use titles? [Mrs./Ms./Miss./Mrs] or Sir?
Suppose that you don't know what her name or his name is. Then how would you call him/her?
In our country when we don't exactly know the person's name, we usually say "my friend"
What about you native English speakers? I mean how would you call the person on that time?

Thank you.
If we don't know a person's name, we generally use no form of address in Britain.

In many countries, some form of address equivalent to 'sir' or 'madam' is used, but that is not normal in English except by police and customs officers and some (but by no means all) people in some service industries.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We don't need to be addressed as anything at all. The most you need to write at the start of a post is "Hello/Hi" and even that is not necessary. You don't need to waste time and typing on unnecessary words in a post. The learners and the teachers are all busy. There is nothing wrong with simply making a post with a relevant title, and then writing "Please can you help me with the following ..." or something similar. You don't need a greeting or a salutation, nor any closing statement like "Thanks in advance" or "I look forward to reading your replies".

Short and to the point is best.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Personally, I have no objection to a "thank you" as well as a "please."

However, I've simply stopped responding to posts that start with "Sir." It tells me the person doesn't expect an intelligent answer from a female and I'd hate to prove them wrong.

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks everybody.
What if the person who you are friend with, is your best and close friend? I mean is it appropriate to call him/her "my friend" or not? Suppose yourself, have you ever called/addressed your best and close friend "my friend" while meeting him/her?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks everybody.
What if the person who you are friend with, is your best and close friend? I mean is it appropriate to call him/her "my friend" or not? Suppose yourself, have you ever called/addressed your best and close friend "my friend" while meeting him/her?

Yes, people call their friends "my friend".

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Yes, people call their friends "my friend".
Thanks for answering but I meant addressing him/her face to face "my friend"
For example, hello my friend how are you?
Did you mean this?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks for answering but I meant addressing him/her face to face "my friend"
For example, hello my friend how are you?
Did you mean this?

Yes.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"My friend" can be used in many ways. In AusE, it's not often used to mean "my friend" at all. It is usually patronizing, or even distancing or ironic.
"A reminder, my friend: my patience is not unlimited."
I agree with Mike. In my experience, it's only in AmE that the term usually really means what it says.
I also believe that "Dear friend" (to a stranger), is OK in the US. Here (Aus) it usually means that you're going to be asked to consider a new religion or make a donation to something.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"My friend" can be used in many ways. In AusE, it's not often used to mean "my friend" at all. It is usually patronizing, or even distancing or ironic.
"A reminder, my friend: my patience is not unlimited."
I agree with Mike. In my experience, it's only in AmE that the term usually really means what it says.
I also believe that "Dear friend" (to a stranger), is OK in the US. Here (Aus) it usually means that you're going to be asked to consider a new religion or make a donation to something.

And I agree with you, that used with people who are not real friends "my friend" is patronizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.