Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. englishhobby's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 1,678
    #1

    Edit

    1) Mark Ben Lent's test.
    2) Check Ben Lent's test.
    3) Edit Ben Lent's test.

    Do all the three sentences have similar meanings? I am especially interested in edit.Can it also be used in Classroom English?
    If I were a native speaker of English, I would never shut up. :-)

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,832
    #2

    Re: Edit

    Quote Originally Posted by englishhobby View Post
    1) Mark Ben Lent's test.
    2) Check Ben Lent's test.
    3) Edit Ben Lent's test.

    Do all the three sentences have similar meanings? I am especially interested in edit.Can it also be used in Classroom English?
    All three have different meanings. The first means that you will look at his test answers and then give him a score. The second means that you will check something about his test - it might be his answers, it might be that you are just checking that he has submitted it. The third means that you change his answers.

    If Ben Lent is the person who wrote the test questions, then the third would mean that you are taking the contents of his test and changing the questions in some way.

    As usual, context is everything. What do you want your sentences to mean?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  3. englishhobby's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 1,678
    #3

    Re: Edit

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    As usual, context is everything. What do you want your sentences to mean?
    I just need to make a list of verbs to be used as Classroom English. Now I see edit doesn't fit in here as teachers do not usually edit their students works. I thought I could say to a student in class: 'I have edited your essay (which means 'I have read it, corrected the mistakes and marked it') , you can have it back'.
    If I were a native speaker of English, I would never shut up. :-)

  4. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,832
    #4

    Re: Edit

    Quote Originally Posted by englishhobby View Post
    I just need to make a list of verbs to be used as Classroom English. Now I see edit doesn't fit in here as teachers do not usually edit their students works. I thought I could say to a student in class: 'I have edited your essay (which means 'I have read it, corrected the mistakes and marked it') , you can have it back'.
    When you are a teacher, correcting your students' mistakes in their writing is not the same as editing. It is closer to proofreading. Editing usually involves changing the content, in some cases quite drastically.

    In the situation you described, I would just say "I have marked your essay. I have also made some corrections". You always give a mark before making the corrections, of course.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

Similar Threads

  1. Please edit it
    By NewHopeR in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Mar-2012, 02:48
  2. edit/s
    By Tan Elaine in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Jul-2009, 07:40
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 29-Mar-2007, 02:46
  4. Pl. help edit it
    By ricardosong in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-May-2005, 22:49

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •