Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
While learning English, especially doing the exercises, I am often got confused about the noun form:shock::?:---whether singular or plural. Like this one " use your brain" , is it interchangeable with "use your brains" ? I have looked up the dictionaries and found two slightly different definitions.
In Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary of Current English with Chinese Translation, it is defined like this" (colloq, usu sing) mind; intellect: have a good ~; use one's ~
In Langman Dictionary of American English, I have " n. (plural) the ability to think clearly and learn quickly; Use your brains, Vernorica.
So are they different just for American English and British English? Please give me some help. I look forward to any of your ideas. Thanks ~:)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
They're both possible. I think use your brain might be a bit more direct, even ruder, as an instruction.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
While learning English, especially doing the exercises, I am often got confused about the noun form:shock::?:---whether singular or plural. Like this one " use your brain" , is it interchangeable with "use your brains" ? I have looked up the dictionaries and found two slightly different definitions.
In Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary of Current English with Chinese Translation, it is defined like this" (colloq, usu sing) mind; intellect: have a good ~; use one's ~
In Langman Dictionary of American English, I have " n. (plural) the ability to think clearly and learn quickly; Use your brains, Vernorica.
So are they different just for American English and British English? Please give me some help. I look forward to any of your ideas. Thanks ~:)

"Use your brain" or "use your brains" are both used.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If we say "Use your brain", we are referring to the body part, the jelly-like mass of neurons contained in your head.
If we say "Use your brains", we mean "Think" or "Use your intelligence".

Of course, the result is the same - you have to use your brain in order to use your intelligence.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If we say "Use your brain", we are referring to the body part, the jelly-like mass of neurons contained in your head.
If we say "Use your brains", we mean "Think" or "Use your intelligence".

Of course, the result is the same - you have to use your brain in order to use your intelligence.

I find the expressions equivalent, even though we have but one brain..

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I find the expressions equivalent, even though we have but one brain..

I agree, that's why I said the result was the same. However, the word "brain" is usually associated with the body part and "brains" means intelligence.

Evaviva

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks a lot. I now completely understand.:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.