Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
"Please make payment by 15 Nov 2013"

Does it mean that I can make payment from now until 15 Nov 2013 11:59pm?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Please make payment by 15 Nov 2013"

Does it mean that I can make payment from now until 15 Nov 2013 11:59pm?

With phrases like that, it's a good idea to clarify. It can mean "before 15 November 2013" in which case you would have to pay by 14 November 2013, 2359 hrs. In addition, sometimes people are only referring to working hours. If you are paying a business, they might want to check that you have paid by the time they close. If their business hours are, for example, 9am to 5pm, they will check their bank account several times throughout the day to check that your money has arrived. If it's not there by 5pm on 15 November 2013, they might well assume that you have failed to fulfil your end of the bargain and you haven't paid.

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
It can mean "before 15 November 2013" in which case you would have to pay by 14 November 2013, 2359 hrs.

Why "before 15 November 2013"? I thought it should include 15 Nov 2013?

For example when I was in school, the teacher said "please hand in your homework by Thursday", and I will understand it as Thursday is the last day I can hand in my homework.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Why "before 15 November 2013"? I thought it should include 15 Nov 2013?

For example when I was in school, the teacher said "please hand in your homework by Thursday", and I will understand it as Thursday is the last day I can hand in my homework.

You're right but you couldn't have handed your homework in on Thursday at 23.59pm, could you? There are usually time limits as well as date limits. Presumably, your teacher meant "Hand in your homework during our class on Thursday." If that class is from 9am to 10am, then you need to hand it in during that hour or possibly right at the start of the class.

When I say "I will be there by 8pm" I mean that 8pm is the absolute latest I will arrive. It is more likely that I will arrive before 8pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.