Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Dear teachers and members:

The following is my opinion in regard to the importance of Schwa Sound (
ə) in learning English pronunciation and listening.

1°) In English, a syllable is a segment of speech consisting of a consonant and a vowel, a consonant and a diphthong, a consonant and a triphthong, a syllabic consonant or only a vowel, which mades sound in a word, being the vowel the more important and the one who receives the stress changes.

2°) I found that English has only four levels of stress pattern: Primary stress syllable, secondary stress syllable, unstressed syllable and vowel reduction, being the more frequent the unstressed syllable and a vowel reduction levels, also called Schwa Sound.

3°)
We can notice that there is more than a Schwa Sound in many multisyllable words (consonant /ˈkɒn
thinsp.png
thinsp.png
nənt/
, vulnerable /ˈvʌl
thinsp.png
nər
thinsp.png
ə
thinsp.png
bəl/
), but I have also noticed that there is no words with more than three Schwa Sounds.

4°) Almost every multi-syllable word in English has unstressed syllable, and most of the function words in sentences have vowel reduction. It is said that more than 65 percent of words in a text are Schwa Sounds - including unstressed syllables as well as vowel reductions -. It is also said that the 100 more common function words
(the, a, of, to, and, that, for, can, etc.) when are not alone or at the end of a sentence in English have vowel reduction, which means it becomes into Schwa Sound, so in other word, English is a Schwa Sound Language.

5°) Finally, I encourage those who are learning English and specially those who are learning it as a second language to know the important of the Schwa Sound in learning English pronunciation and listening.

Please, I would like your comments about my opinion and I would appreciate to be clarified in any misunderstanding that I had written.

Very sincerely and my regards to all of you,

The Apprentice.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Importance" is the noun form.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Thank you SoothingDave:

You quite right; this is the correct form. (importance)

Regards,

The Apprentice.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

1°) In English, a syllable is a segment of speech consisting of a consonant and a vowel, a consonant and a diphthong, a consonant and a triphthong, a syllabic consonant or only a vowel, which mades sound in a word, being the vowel the more important and the one who receives the stress changes.
Your definition of syllable is not very clear. I am not sure exactly what you mean by the part I have underlined.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Thank you 5jj for your reply and correction:

In English, a syllable is a segment of speech consisting of a consonant and a vowel, a consonant and a diphthong, a consonant and a triphthong, a syllabic consonant or only a vowel, which mades sound in a word, being the vowel the more important and the one who receives the stress changes.

I mean that in a syllable in which a consonant and a vowel (a diphthong or triphthong) are involved, the vowel is the more important phoneme. It is the one which makes the main sound in a word and the one which receives the stress pattern whether it be a primary stress, a secondary stress, no stress (Schwa Sound) or a vowel reduction (Schwa Sound); for example:

ECONOMY: /ɪˈkɒn
thinsp.png
ə
thinsp.png
mi/; in this word the vowels E, O and the semi vowel Y are the ones which make the main sounds and the ones which receive the stress pattern; the vowel E is a short i sound /ɪ/; the first vowel O is a short o sound
/ɒ/; the second vowel O is an unstressed vowel sound or Schwa Sound
thinsp.png
/, and finally the semi vowel Y is a long i sound /i/.

Though a vowel can convey a meaning on its own (as A does), something that a consonant cannot do, I recognize that both have and convey sounds (phonemes), but being the vowel the more important sound or phoneme in a syllable.

In regard to syllabic consonants I will post a thread about it later on bacause I consider it to be another issue.

Thanks again 5jj,

Yours truly.

The Apprentice

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.