Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2013
    • Posts: 163
    #1

    Lightbulb How to use " twice" in a sentence?

    Hi there,

    I am trying to compare two ratios, for instance, which are 23.23 and 11.12 and do not know how to express by using "twice" in my sentence. Here is what I had in mind for this expression: the first ratio-23.23 is nearly twice the second ratio.

    Is that correct?

    Also, if possible, please give me some other examples to show how to use "twice".


    Thanks!
    Zoey

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #2

    Re: How to use " twice" in a sentence?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZOEYW View Post
    Hi there,

    I am trying to compare two ratios, for instance, which are 23.23 and 11.12 and do not know how to express by using "twice" in my sentence. Here is what I had in mind for this expression: the first ratio-23.23 is nearly twice the second ratio.

    Is that correct?

    Also, if possible, please give me some other examples to show how to use "twice".


    Thanks!
    Zoey
    I would say "twice as big as the second ratio".

    John called Mary twice yesterday.
    My dog weighs twice as much as yours.

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,104
    #3

    Re: How to use " twice" in a sentence?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZOEYW View Post
    Hi there,

    I am trying to compare two ratios, for instance, which are 23.23 and 11.12 and do not know how to express by using "twice" in my sentence. Here is what I had in mind for this expression: the first ratio-23.23 is nearly twice the second ratio.

    Is that correct?

    Also, if possible, please give me some other examples to show how to use "twice".


    Thanks!
    Zoey
    You don't appear to have given any ratios. Is the first one 23:23 or 23.23:1? (23 to 23, 23.23 to 1)
    A decimal point between 2 numbers doesn't signify a ratio; you need colon.

    "The ratio of numbers A and B can be expressed as:
    [4]

    • the ratio of A to B
    • A is to B (often followed by "as ...")
    • A:B
    • A fraction (rational number) that is the quotient: A divided by B

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratio

  3. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #4

    Re: How to use " twice" in a sentence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    You don't appear to have given any ratios. Is the first one 23:23 or 23.23:1? (23 to 23, 23.23 to 1)
    A decimal point between 2 numbers doesn't signify a ratio; you need colon.

    "The ratio of numbers A and B can be expressed as:
    [4]

    • the ratio of A to B
    • A is to B (often followed by "as ...")
    • A:B
    • A fraction (rational number) that is the quotient: A divided by B

    Ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I assumed those numbers came from dividing the numerators by the denominators to compare the values.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,310
    #5

    Re: How to use " twice" in a sentence?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZOEYW View Post
    Hi there,

    I am trying to compare two ratios, for instance, which are 23.23 and 11.12 and do not know how to express by using "twice" in my sentence. Here is what I had in mind for this expression: the first ratio-23.23 is nearly twice the second ratio.

    Is that correct?

    Also, if possible, please give me some other examples to show how to use "twice".


    Thanks!
    Zoey
    It works for me.

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,104
    #6

    Re: How to use " twice" in a sentence?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    I assumed those numbers came from dividing the numerators by the denominators to compare the values.
    Oh, I see, I think. So 6 and 4 are both ratios, and 6 is a bigger ratio than 4?

  5. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #7

    Re: How to use " twice" in a sentence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Oh, I see, I think. So 6 and 4 are both ratios, and 6 is a bigger ratio than 4?
    They can be. Technically, 6 is 6:1 or 6/1 = 6; 4 is 4:1 or 4/1 or 4. For purposes of comparison, 6 > 4.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-Jun-2013, 03:46
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-Jun-2012, 12:02
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-Jun-2012, 12:05
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 22-Feb-2008, 10:22
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 29-Jul-2005, 02:58

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •