Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello.

I do not have problems with English tenses, but I had a mistake (English Grammar in Use) and I want to understand it.

A: Is David still here?
B: No, I'm afraid he isn't. He ____ about ten minutes ago.

I wrote "has left", because it's a fact than he's not there. If I said "he left" it meant that he left, but he could return.

I would use past simple in this case:

B: I don't know exactly. He left about ten minutes ago (But he was able to return).

Am I right? Can I use present perfect?

If I am not right. Please correct my mistakes and don't give me links with English tenses. :-D

Boris.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.

I do not have problems with English tenses, but I had a mistake (English Grammar in Use) and I want to understand it.

I wrote "has left", because it's a fact than he's not there. If I said "he left" it meant that he left, but he could return.

I would use past simple in this case:

B: I don't know exactly. He left about ten minutes ago (But he was able to return).

Am I right? Can I use present perfect?

If I am not right. Please correct my mistakes and don't give me links with English tenses. :-D

Boris.

You have me a bit confused. In both of your examples, you have the same second sentence in the B parts. I don't know why you would use the present perfect in the first and the simple past in the second. The issue is not whether David could return; he could return in either case. The issue is the specific time reference (about 10 minutes ago). With a specific time reference, we use the simple past.

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I suppose I didn't understand a rule correct.
Thanks for help.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I do not have problems with English tenses, but I[STRIKE] had[/STRIKE] made a mistake (English Grammar in Use) and I want to understand it.

You're using the present perfect tense with a definite past time. You do have at least that problem with tenses. Of course, that's nothing to be ashamed about; you're here to learn. But making a claim such as this can be confusing.

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Mike, thanks for your link. It's really helpful.

I just forgot that I cannot use the present perfect tense with a difinite past time. It was a huge mistake. :-D

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hardly huge.

Status