Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
According to Micheal Swan's book, After expressions like one in three, one out of five + plural noun, both singular and plural verbs are possible.

Ex: One in three new cars break/breaks down in the first years.

I've asked this question from some native English teachers from USA or Australia. They strongly claim that this sentence doesn't work in Modern English. However, I don't agree with them because Swan's books are very up-to-date ones. Would you please share your opinions with me? I really want to know is there any possibility to use ONE IN THREE with a plural verb in formal writing or not.

Thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is my take on it:

If you only have three cars, then "one of those three cars breaks down" (that is still one in three) so "one in three breaks down".
If you have thirty cars, and ten of them break down then "one in three break down" (if you add up all the "ones", you get "ten" which takes the plural.)

The problem many people have with "one in three cars breaks down" is that they don't like "breaks" following "cars". The gut feeling is that "cars" should be followed by the third person plural, not the third person singular.

The upshot is that I agree with Swan - both are acceptable.

Note that the correct spelling of his first name is "Michael". It is one of the most commonly misspelt names in English.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
According to Micheal Swan's book, After expressions like one in three, one out of five + plural noun, both singular and plural verbs are possible.

Ex: One in three new cars break/breaks down in the first years.

I've asked this question from some native English teachers from USA or Australia. They strongly claim that this sentence doesn't work in Modern English. However, I don't agree with them because Swan's books are very up-to-date ones. Would you please share your opinions with me? I really want to know is there any possibility to use ONE IN THREE with a plural verb in formal writing or not.

Thanks

You will undoubtedly see both singular and plural verbs used in the construction that Michael Swan was discussing. I doubt that we will ever have complete agreement on this issue. I would use a singular verb because of the word "one".

Here is a page from someone who agrees with that point of view: The Grammarphobia Blog: Patently singular

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Note that the correct spelling of his first name is "Michael". It is one of the most commonly misspelt names in English.

Sad, but true -- for me! :-(

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
The Gaelic version is Micheál, which is pronounced "meehaul".

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
That sounds like a cat in heat.

I dare say that there are many non-English names that sound strange or comical in English.

Status
Not open for further replies.