Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi dear teachers,

"There will be a day when all women will walk naked outside." Is this sentence grammatical? I know this sentence may sound quite bad but to be honest, I don't care about its meaning, I just want to know its grammar. So please don't think about its meaning.

Thanks.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not incorrect, in my opinion, but "There will come a day" is a more common way to express "Someday, ..."

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"There will be someday when women will walk naked outside." Now it is okay, right?

One more question. Can I use "that" instead of "when"?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"There will be someday when women will walk naked outside." Now it is okay, right?

One more question. Can I use "that" instead of "when"?

Not "someday", "come a day" is better. "When" is better.

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"There will come a day when women will walk naked outside."

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
What do you mean 5jj?:)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I don't think many women (or men) would choose to walk around outdoors without clothes when the temperature is around freezing point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi dear teachers,

"There will be a day when all women will walk naked outside." Is this sentence grammatical? I know this sentence may sound quite bad but to be honest, I don't care about its meaning, I just want to know its grammar. So please don't think about its meaning.

Thanks.
I know what you mean about ignoring the meaning in this case, but you can't always say whether a sentence is grammatical or not without considering the intended meaning. For example, Barb would not have been able to suggest "There will come a day" unless she had considered the meaning of "There will be a day."

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
To be honest, I did care the meaning but I happened to ignore it because I thought you would not like it or get disappointed with the meaning so I just asked about the grammar in it. To say a bit of my intention of why I wanted to write that sentence, I notice that there is an evolution of dresses of women(specially). It is not like those days. If we go to past, we can see that there were days when women used to use full dresses or cover their 80% of the body. But now in some countries it is different. Nowadays some women tend to use very short dresses. They do such a thing perhaps in order to have attractions. Recently I watched a debate on this issue or case. There some people expressed their agreement on walking naked but some disagreed. Those who agreed said that every one has rights to walk naked outdoors. So considering all those views, I believe that there will come a day when some women will walk naked outdoors.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Based on what you have seen, heard and read, why do you think only women will go outside naked in the future? What about men?

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Because everyone talks about only women and what I have heard and seen is all about women. I don't think men will do such a thing.

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
To be honest, I didn't click on it. But I believe that you are going to prove something to me. I think I won't be okay with that kind of things. It's okay. I will agree with u.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hmm. Interesting. I didn't think you were saying "Women are getting more and more immodest in their dress." I thought you were saying "Women will feel empowered and safe and walking naked presents no threat to them." So your meaning of "What a shame that women don't wear more clothing!" was not at all received by me.

jenny188

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi dear teachers,

Thanks.

Hi, I think it will better if you say " there will be a day that every women walk naked outside" or "someday every women will walk naked outside" :)
:)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hi, I think it will better if you say " there will be a day that every women walk naked outside"
That is not correct English.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hmm. Interesting. I didn't think you were saying "Women are getting more and more immodest in their dress." I thought you were saying "Women will feel empowered and safe and walking naked presents no threat to them." So your meaning of "What a shame that women don't wear more clothing!" was not at all received by me.

I agree entirely with Barb. I did not get the impression at all from the original post that the prospect of all women walking around outdoors naked was a bad thing. In order to show such a feeling, I would expect to see something like:

- At this rate, women are going to be going around naked one of these days!
- If women wear much less when they go out, they'll be naked!

The addition of an exclamation mark makes it clear that such a situation is one which would shock/displease the writer, or at least that it should shock/displease the reader. There is also an element of humour in those statements which, in my opinion, is necessary because we all know that women aren't going to start walking around naked outdoors simply because there is a trend at the moment towards more revealing clothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.