Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Oct 2013
    • Posts: 641
    #1

    where or that

    It was at our college library ____ I borrowed the novel.
    A. on which
    B. in which
    C. that
    D. where

    Previously, I made up a question and asked you what's the subtle difference between THAT and WHERE. That test was :

    Greenland is an island .... I would really like to see.

    1. that
    2. where
    With your help I got the point that "that" can fit here. not where. However after seeing this new test ( in the above) and receiving many different opinions about this one, I got confused. Some native claim it must be WHERE. The others lean against THAT. How can I get the correct answer and how I can learn this topic better.

    Thanks

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,624
    #2

    Re: where or that

    Quote Originally Posted by Freeguy View Post
    It was at our college library ____ I borrowed the novel.
    A. on which
    B. in which
    C. that
    D. where

    Previously, I made up a question and asked you what's the subtle difference between THAT and WHERE. That test was :

    Greenland is an island .... I would really like to see.

    1. that
    2. where
    With your help I got the point that "that" can fit here. not where. However after seeing this new test ( in the above) and receiving many different opinions about this one, I got confused. Some native claim it must be WHERE. The others lean against THAT. How can I get the correct answer and how I can learn this topic better.

    Thanks
    I would use "that".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Oct 2013
    • Posts: 641
    #3

    Re: where or that

    Why not where?

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,624
    #4

    Re: where or that

    Quote Originally Posted by Freeguy View Post
    Why not where?
    It's not natural.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Oct 2013
    • Posts: 641
    #5

    Re: where or that

    I take it I have problem with relative clause.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Oct 2013
    • Posts: 641
    #6

    Re: where or that

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    It's not natural.
    Mozart's birthplace and the house ........ he composed 'The Magic Flute' are both now museums.

    1. that
    2. where

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,857
    #7

    Re: where or that

    Quote Originally Posted by Freeguy View Post
    Mozart's birthplace and the house ........ he composed 'The Magic Flute' are both now museums.

    1. that
    2. where
    "Where" or "in which". I prefer the latter.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  4. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,857
    #8

    Re: where or that

    Does this help? All of these are natural:

    - The house where I grew up was large.
    - The house in which I grew up was large.
    - The house that I grew up in was large.
    - The house I grew up in was large.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Oct 2013
    • Posts: 641
    #9

    Re: where or that

    Longman advanced learners' grammar book written by Mark Foley says both of them are correct here. I'm really discombobulated.

  5. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,624
    #10

    Re: where or that

    Quote Originally Posted by Freeguy View Post
    Longman advanced learners' grammar book written by Mark Foley says both of them are correct here. I'm really discombobulated.
    "Mozart's birthplace and the house that he composed 'The Magic Flute' are both now museums."
    This is incorrect.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •