• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Stephanie would be late again!

I don't know where this passage comes from, it's just a test question. And I wonder who said the underlined and what "would" in there means - not a habitual past action, but the future from the past?

23) Stephanie would be late again! Now she was sorry that she read for such a long time, but the book was so absorbing she could not put it down. ①She grabbed the last bite of the sandwich her mother made for breakfast. She dashed out of the house. In the driveway, ②she jumped on her bike and started to pedal as fast as she could. ③She remembered when she got the bike for Christmas last year, it was such a surprise. She knew that her mother could not afford it, but ④she bought it for her anyway. It was a beautiful blue and shiny bike. ⑤She
    was so grateful to her mother.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Stephanie would be late again!

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    I don't know where this passage comes from, it's just a test question. And I wonder who said the underlined and what "would" in there means - not a habitual past action, but the future from the past?

23) Stephanie would be late again! Now she was sorry that she read for such a long time, but the book was so absorbing she could not put it down. ①She grabbed the last bite of the sandwich her mother made for breakfast. She dashed out of the house. In the driveway, ②she jumped on her bike and started to pedal as fast as she could. ③She remembered when she got the bike for Christmas last year, it was such a surprise. She knew that her mother could not afford it, but ④she bought it for her anyway. It was a beautiful blue and shiny bike. ⑤She
    was so grateful to her mother.
    It's type of reported speech. Stephanie is thinking "I will be late again!"