Results 1 to 10 of 10
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Apr 2013
    • Posts: 276
    #1

    I never heard you talk about him before

    "I never heard you talk about him before"

    Would you please rephrase above sentence ?
    What kind of construction is this?

  1. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #2

    Re: I never heard you talk about him before

    How do you want us to rephrase it?

  2. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jun 2013
    • Posts: 637
    #3

    Re: I never heard you talk about him before

    Quote Originally Posted by shibli.aftab View Post
    "I never heard you talk about him before"

    Would you please rephrase above sentence ?
    What kind of construction is this?
    Hello shibli,
    Your self made sentence is a little strange to me.
    I would say: "I have never heard you talk about him before."
    This is present perfect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Apr 2013
    • Posts: 276
    #4

    Re: I never heard you talk about him before

    Quote Originally Posted by sb70012 View Post
    Hello shibli,
    Your self made sentence is a little strange to me.
    I would say: "I have never heard you talk about him before."
    This is present perfect.
    I have listened this sentence in hollywoood movie. Is it wrong?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Apr 2013
    • Posts: 276
    #5

    Re: I never heard you talk about him before

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    How do you want us to rephrase it?
    Any simple sentence that could be understood .

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,919
    #6

    Re: I never heard you talk about him before

    Quote Originally Posted by shibli.aftab View Post
    Any simple sentence that could be understood.
    You have already posted a simple sentence which can be understood. Why do you want to change it?

    Remember that we do not put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Apr 2013
    • Posts: 276
    #7

    Re: I never heard you talk about him before

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    You have already posted a simple sentence which can be understood. Why do you want to change it?

    Remember that we do not put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.
    Is the sentence correct or should we write it as ""I never heard you talking about him before"/"I have never heard you talk about him before"

  4. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,919
    #8

    Re: I never heard you talk about him before

    Quote Originally Posted by shibli.aftab View Post
    Is the sentence correct or should we write it as ""I never heard you talking about him before"/"I have never heard you talk about him before".
    There is no specific need to use "talking" rather than "talk". Users of AmE are more likely to accept "I never heard ..." rather than "I have never heard ...". However, these are all possible:

    I have never heard you talk about him before.
    I have never heard you talking about him before.
    I never heard you talk about him before.
    I never heard you talking about him before.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Apr 2013
    • Posts: 276
    #9

    Re: I never heard you talk about him before

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    There is no specific need to use "talking" rather than "talk". Users of AmE are more likely to accept "I never heard ..." rather than "I have never heard ...". However, these are all possible:

    I have never heard you talk about him before.
    I have never heard you talking about him before.
    I never heard you talk about him before.
    I never heard you talking about him before.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Now my last question is,
    Which of the four sentences given by you soun more natural?
    As a foreign language learner, Which sentence should I prefer?
    Thanks again.

  5. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #10

    Re: I never heard you talk about him before

    Quote Originally Posted by shibli.aftab View Post
    Which of the four sentences given by you sounds more natural?
    This speaker of BrE would probably use one of the first two, but all four are natural enough, in the right context, to some native speakers.

Similar Threads

  1. I heard a thunder. / I heard the thuder.
    By englishhobby in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28-Feb-2013, 20:04
  2. talk or talks; hear or heard; happen or happened
    By sbrodsky in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26-Jun-2011, 16:38
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Jan-2011, 00:46
  4. may have heard versus probably have heard
    By duiter in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Jun-2010, 01:30
  5. heard her say & heard she says
    By kayoox in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 17-Sep-2007, 01:29

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •