Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
India
Hello,

I am interested in finding different sounds that human beings produce..I know few couples
but I want to know most of the common sounds..I dont know the exact terminology so i
couldnot search them on google.

I know the followings
Giggles, chuckle,Grin,snort, snore, heart pounding, farting, gargle,Sigh,
knucle fingers,sneeze, sniff, coughing,burping,loughing,hiccup,wishper,joint cracking,

I cant think of anything more..:(

Please give me much more sounds with little description about their meanings. Please share
links if you have any.

Thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello,

I am interested in finding different sounds that human beings produce. I know a few [strike]couples[/strike] but I want to know most of the common sounds. I don't know the exact terminology so I could not search for them on Google.

I know the [strike]followings[/strike] following:

Giggles, chuckle, grin, snort, snore, heart pounding, farting, gargle, sigh, knuckle fingers, sneeze, sniff, coughing, burping, laughing, hiccup, [strike]wishper[strike] whisper, joint cracking.

I can't think of any[strike]thing[/strike] more. :(

Please give me [strike]much[/strike] more sounds with a little description about their meanings. Please share links if you have any.

Thanks.

Please see my amendments to your post above in red. It is important to follow the rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- End every sentence with a single appropriate punctuation mark.
- Put a space after every full stop, comma, question mark and exclamation mark.
- Do not put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.

As far as the words you have listed are concerned, note that the following are not "human sounds":

- grin
- heart pounding
- knuckle fingers
- joint cracking

Grinning makes no sound. Your heart pounding sounds noisy in your ears but is not really a sound. People choosing to crack their knuckles makes a sound but it's not a standard "human sound". "Joint cracking" is a symptom of getting old and, again, I wouldn't put it in with things like chuckling, laughing, burping etc.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
India
Please see my amendments to your post above in red. It is important to follow the rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- End every sentence with a single appropriate punctuation mark.
- Put a space after every full stop, comma, question mark and exclamation mark.
- Do not put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.

As far as the words you have listed are concerned, note that the following are not "human sounds":

- grin
- heart pounding
- knuckle fingers
- joint cracking

Grinning makes no sound. Your heart pounding sounds noisy in your ears but is not really a sound. People choosing to crack their knuckles makes a sound but it's not a standard "human sound". "Joint cracking" is a symptom of getting old and, again, I wouldn't put it in with things like chuckling, laughing, burping etc.

Thank you very much and I appreciate your suggestions. Actually We often come across with different sounds that either human produce and or come from different activities. and we speak about those sounds a lot. So I want to know all possible sounds that you can think of even it takes longer time to memorize and makes use of them.. :) I hope you have understood my query.

:)

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
India
Help me people!!!!! LOL

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Help me people!!!!! LOL

You are new here so we are giving you some leeway but there are a couple of things you should know:

- Asking people to give you long lists of examples with explanations is not appropriate here. We deal with specific questions about individual aspects of the language. We are not here to replace your own research and your own hard work.

- Bumping a thread (even if you end it with LOL) is somewhat frowned upon. If you have no responses after 2-3 days, we don't mind a quick follow-up question but bumping the next morning (especially at a weekend when we like to get some rest) smacks of impatience. It also makes us wonder if the question is about a piece of homework or an assignment for which the deadline is approaching. Note that we do not help with homework.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
India
First of all thanks Amigos4 and emsr2d2 for your kind reply and special thanks to Amigos4 for sharing the link.

You are new here so we are giving you some leeway but there are a couple of things you should know:

- Asking people to give you long lists of examples with explanations is not appropriate here. We deal with specific questions about individual aspects of the language. We are not here to replace your own research and your own hard work.

- Bumping a thread (even if you end it with LOL) is somewhat frowned upon. If you have no responses after 2-3 days, we don't mind a quick follow-up question but bumping the next morning (especially at a weekend when we like to get some rest) smacks of impatience. It also makes us wonder if the question is about a piece of homework or an assignment for which the deadline is approaching. Note that we do not help with homework.

I didn't know the rules in here. I am not a student but a self learner and this is not any homework, surely there is no way to find out who is asking help for his assignment or home work or that the person is trying to better his English. Actually I am very desperate to increase my stock of words. So without picking random words I thought I would choose to take some section and thereby try to learn new words in that category. I tried to Google search it but somehow I was not getting what I wanted. It's true that nothing can replace one's hard work and research on something, you can merely work as a catalyst to help people get close to their goals. I also thought my thread was overlooked so I tried to bring it up once more. Surely I need some patience because I am not alone and there are thousands of people too need help :) . I will try to abide by your suggestions and I shall thank you people once more for giving your helping hands.

Was the word 'LOL' somehow derogatory for this forum? Let me know. I will never use such thing in the future..

UserSixtyThree

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Before using the forum you should read the Forum Guidelines. These should have been read and accepted when you registered. In fact, I have just looked at your member profile which clearly shows "Rules Accepted: 30-Oct-2013 06:42". If you did not read them before accepting them, you should rectify that ASAP.

"LOL" is semi-acceptable. It is, of course, non-standard English. I simply meant that adding "LOL" to your thread bump did not change the fact that it was an impatient thread bump.

Status
Not open for further replies.