Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello.

I suppose everyone knows what it means. So, can I use it as: "Oh my god, every day is the same day. It's like groundhog day".
If it's not correct. Do you have an expression?

Thanks.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm sure you can find people who don't know what it means but your sentence would be understood by anyone who does know the meaning.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.

I suppose everyone knows what it means. So, can I use it as: "Oh my god, every day is the same day. It's like groundhog day".

Thanks.
Groundhog Day, to me, means a celebration which takes place in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania on the second day of February every year. A groundhog is taken in front of the celebrants and if it is sunny the winter will last for six more weeks. If it is cloudy, the winter will end earlier. An expression which comes to mind was spoken by the Yankees baseball manager, Yogi Berra, "It's deja vu all over again".

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The phrase "Groundhog Day" has entered common use as a reference to an unpleasant situation that continually repeats, or seems to.

Groundhog Day (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Punxsutawney Phil (the name given to all of the various groundhogs displayed in Punxsutawney during the celebrations) may be of more importance to an American. I have seen the movie but, as of yet, have not heard the phrase used in the sense you point to - though it does make sense to me.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.

Thanks.

Either as a celebration or the movie, "Groundhog" and "Day" should be capitalized. Also, I think most people would capitalize the "G" in "God".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Punxsutawney Phil (the name given to all of the various groundhogs displayed in Punxsutawney during the celebrations) may be of more importance to an American. I have seen the movie but, as of yet, have not heard the phrase used in the sense you point to - though it does make sense to me.
The entire theme of the movie is that one shallow man keeps re-living the same day, February 2nd, over and over. He basically has to live this day over and over until he learns to live not for himself, but in a selfless way.

"Groundhog Day" is thus not only the mild mid-winter holiday so famous in my home state, but also a pop-cultural shorthand for the phenomenon experienced in the movie. That of repeating the same experiences over and over.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The entire theme of the movie is that one shallow man keeps re-living the same day, February 2nd, over and over. He basically has to live this day over and over until he learns to live not for himself, but in a selfless way.

"Groundhog Day" is thus not only the mild mid-winter holiday so famous in my home state, but also a pop-cultural shorthand for the phenomenon experienced in the movie. That of repeating the same experiences over and over.

Do you remember the radio song that started each day?

Status
Not open for further replies.