Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I greet you, followers of the great english language.
Now I practice my English by ear. Recently I have seen a new trailer of Hobbit 2 by Peter Jackson and JRR Tolkien and then I decided to try to create subtitles with my own forces. Having listened to the trailer about 30 times :-D, I nearly completed my work, but I forced one problem. I can't hear a sentence of an actor due to the reduction. Subtitles of other man only helped me to understand actor's words, but he is mosit likely native speaker. I live in Ukraine and my native language is Russian, so you should understand the reason of my failure;-).

Come to the point.
The actor says in trailer the following words: "How do we know he won't betray us? We don't!"

Now I'm concentrating on english reduction. That's why I seized upon such a simple sentence at first sight. Yes, it's simple on the paper, but to hear it is hard task, especially for those who speaks in Russian. Well, help me with this part - "How do we know". Despite the fact, that I know what actor says, I cannot hear it so far, listening to the video every time.

Could you sort every word out for me. What i mean? I mean, for instance, how one should pronounce the word "how" taking into account the rules of reduction and so on.

Thanks a lot friends.
By the way, if you need the link for watching this trailer, you'll get it;-)

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum.

The first thing I am going to do is ask you to follow the rules of written English at all times on this forum:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with a single appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I" (first person singular).
- Capitalise all proper nouns (English, The Hobbit, JRR Tolkien, Russian).
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Do not put a space after an opening quotation mark.
- Do not put a space before a closing quotation mark.

Try to find the proper apostrophe mark on your keyboard or in the settings. For example, it should read "don't", not "don`t".
Please use full words on the forum - ie use "By the way", not "Btw".

Now please click on the Edit Post button in the bottom right-hand corner of your first post and make all the relevant changes, following those rules.

Note that you won't be able to post a link until you have made ten successful posts on the forum.

newgenious

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I'm sorry for my mistakes.
I hope I changed everything rightly.

Status