Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I have checked the dictionary, but it seems to me that this female pronounces the word female (at 1:50) not as it transcribed here. Is her pronunciation correct, please?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What do you mean by 'correct'? It's not exactly the same as my moderately standard southern British accent, but it doesn't stand out as unusual.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
WIt's not exactly the same as my moderately standard southern British accent, but it doesn't stand out as unusual.
:up:
What do you mean by 'correct'?
I mean is it acceptable to pronounce it in that way? Whenever I hear someone says a word not identical to the dictionary transcription, I start doubting it.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Even dictionaries such as John Well's LPD or the Cambridge EPD can give only the main variant pronunciations. You'll have a fulltime job if you check on every minor variant yo hear to see if it's acceptable.

In any case, 'acceptable' itself is fuzzy.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
All indications are that she's Saudi. Why should she have the accent of a native English speaker? You're not suggesting that "female" is the first word you came across that was not native-like, are you?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
All indications are that she's Saudi. Why should she have the accent of a native English speaker?

She does speak extremely well, though.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I don't know when she began to learn English, but it must have been at a very early age.

I would say she is bilingual. I have encountered many native-speaking English people, born to native speakers, who do not speak so clearly and fluently.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
She does speak extremely well, though.
Yes, she speaks very well. I wasn't equating not speaking with a native accent with not speaking well.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yes, she does. I wasn't equating not speaking with a native accent with not speaking well.
I didn't think you were.

I was just making a point. I suspect that some of our members believe that only native speakers can speak the language well.

In fact, while not many (as a percentage of all learners) reach the stage where that can be mistaken for native speakers, an impressive number do reach a stage where they speak more clearly and effectively than many native speakers. And, as we see in this forum, some non-native speakers demonstrate a real understanding of the workings of the language and an ability to explain problems effectvely.

(Sorry. I got a bit side-tracked there on one of my hobby horses.)

Status
Not open for further replies.