Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 68
    #1

    Confused about English Tenses

    I have two statements:

    1. He is drinking.
    2. She is cold.

    I'm sure the first statement is the Present Continous tense.

    He - Subject
    is - The verb be in the present tense
    drink + ing = The main verb + ing

    But I'm not sure about the second statement. What tense is the second statement? Is it Present Continous too? I ask it, because the second statement doesn't contain the word "ing" after the verb. But as far as I know the Simple Present do not use the verb be at all. I suppose it's a kind of Present Continous. Isn't it?

    I'm learning English and would love to understand the difference between the two.




  1. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #2

    Re: Confused about English Tenses

    She is cold.

    Is
    is the present simple of the verb BE.
    Don't forget that BE is a verb in its own right - it's not just an auxiliary verb
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 19-Nov-2013 at 14:06. Reason: typo

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #3

    Re: Confused about English Tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by zoltankr View Post
    I have two statements:

    1. He is drinking.
    2. She is cold.

    I'm sure the first statement is the Present Continous tense.

    He - Subject
    is - The verb be in the present tense
    drink + ing = The main verb + ing

    But I'm not sure about the second statement. What tense is the second statement? Is it Present Continous too? I ask it, because the second statement doesn't contain the word "ing" after the verb. But as far as I know the Simple Present do not use the verb be at all. I suppose it's a kind of Present Continous. Isn't it?

    I'm learning English and would love to understand the difference between the two.


    The second sentence is: subject (pronoun, she) - linking verb (is) - cold (predicate adjective, modifying the subject).

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 68
    #4

    Re: Confused about English Tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    The second sentence is: subject (pronoun, she) - linking verb (is) - cold (predicate adjective, modifying the subject).
    So, the word "drinking" is a verb and "cold" is an adjective?

  3. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #5

    Re: Confused about English Tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by zoltankr View Post
    So, the word "drinking" is a verb and "cold" is an adjective?
    The word "drinking" is the present participle of a verb (drink) and is part of the present continuous form of the main verb (is drinking).

  4. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #6

    Re: Confused about English Tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by zoltankr View Post
    So, the word "drinking" is a verb
    'Drinking' is the -ing form (present participle) of the verb DRINK. When combined with the present simple of the verb BE, it forms the present progressive/continuous aspect of the verb DRINK.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 68
    #7

    Re: Confused about English Tenses

    Thanks. Yes, I understand that "drink" is a verb, but what about "cold"? Is "cold" an adjective? I suppose adjectives can't be suffixed with -ing.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 68
    #8

    Re: Confused about English Tenses

    Am I right?

    She is drinking. <- Present continuous tense
    She is cold. <- Present tense
    She drinks. <- Simple present

    Is the Simple Present without the verb "be"?

  5. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #9

    Re: Confused about English Tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by zoltankr View Post
    Thanks. Yes, I understand that "drink" is a verb, but what about "cold"? Is "cold" an adjective? I suppose adjectives can't be suffixed with -ing.
    Yes, "cold" is an adjective. Some -ing words (present participles of verbs) can be used as adjectives.

    slithering snake
    barking dog
    loving child

  6. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #10

    Re: Confused about English Tenses

    Quote Originally Posted by zoltankr View Post
    Am I right?

    She is drinking. <- Present continuous tense
    She is cold. <- Present tense
    She drinks. <- Simple present

    Is the Simple Present without the verb "be"?
    Yes, your third sentence is the simple present (without the verb "to be").

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Confused with tenses
    By CharlieN in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-May-2013, 03:10
  2. Confused abt these tenses ? Need Help :(
    By dj_dipuu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-Feb-2012, 07:53
  3. Confused about verb tenses
    By Chicken Sandwich in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Jun-2011, 14:26
  4. [Grammar] Confused with the tenses
    By Enlearn in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Jan-2011, 17:06
  5. I'm confused about past tenses
    By Assassin in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-Jan-2008, 03:57

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •