Have you got some/any paper-clips in that box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Some is naromally used in questions when we expect (or hope to get) the answer "yes".

e.g Have you got some paper-clips in that box?

Any is normally used in questions when we are not sure about the answer or expect 'No'.

e.g Have you got any paper-clips in that box?

Longman English Grammar-L.G. Alexander

If we just want to borrow some paper-clips from someone else without considering the answer "Yes" or "No", which of the above questions is more commonly used by native speakers?

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The combination of "Have you got" and "in that box" is a little clunky. I would expect either "Have you got any paper clips?" or "Are there any paper clips in that box?" Your original isn't wrong but it just seems unnecessary. If the box belongs to that person, then simply asking them if they've got any should make them consider the contents of the box when they answer.

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The combination of "Have you got" and "in that box" is a little clunky. I would expect either "Have you got any paper clips?" or "Are there any paper clips in that box?" Your original isn't wrong but it just seems unnecessary. If the box belongs to that person, then simply asking them if they've got any should make them consider the contents of the box when they answer.

Thanks ems.

The sentence for "Have you got any paper-clips in that box?" should be ""Have you got any paper-clips in the box?" Sorry for my typo.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Changing "that" to "the" doesn't change my response.

Status
Not open for further replies.