Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi, I have a problem in speaking ,it's about tenses of the verbs ,my vocabulary knowledge is good but I always get confused about the tenses . would you help me improve my speaking ?
And what's your recommend about enhancing dictation?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, Fati.

We can help with specific questions, bbut explaining the whole tense system is beyond the scope of this forum.

If you can posts specific sentence in which you don't understand why we use one tense rather than another, we should be able to help.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi, I have a problem in speaking ,it's about tenses of the verbs ,my vocabulary knowledge is good but I always get confused about the tenses . would you help me improve my speaking ?
And what's your recommend about enhancing dictation?
Please don't leave a space before a comma or period, and please do leave one after.
The punctuation in blue is correct. The rest is wrong.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Georgian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
The main problem for me is grammar tenses too.I'm always absent-minded about them.I'm studyying,reading,writting but some tenses are such similar to each other that it's difficult which of them to choose.I'll be pleased if you help us that way more.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The main problem for me is grammar tenses too.I'm always absent-minded about them.I'm studyying,reading,writting but some tenses are such similar to each other that it's difficult which of them to choose.I'll be pleased if you help us that way more.
You also have the same problem with spacing around punctuation. It makes me wonder if anyone listens.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Repeat 100 times tonight:

Full stop. Space. Capital letter.

Fati123123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you.I have a quastion about the tenses, what tense do we use for progressive or repieted action in the past?
exm. My father ...... me to school everyday last week.(take)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would use took there.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you. (Space required after full stop) I have a [strike]quastion[/strike] question about the tenses. What tense do we use for progressive or [strike]repieted[/strike] repeated actions in the past?
[strike]exm.[/strike] For example: My father ...... me to school [strike]everyday[/strike] every day last week. (take)

Please see my corrections to your post above. You have now been told three times that you must put a space after a full stop. You must listen to our advice. Also, check your spelling carefully before you post. I am sure that your spellchecker told you that "quastion" and "repieted" were incorrect.

Like Tdol, I would use "took" in the example you gave.

Fati123123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks for your help, but i didn't got my answer. Do we always use simple past for repeated actions in the past? By the way your website is so helpful.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks for your help, but i didn't got my answer. Do we always use simple past for repeated actions in the past? By the way your website is so helpful.
No, we don't.
"I swam every day when I was at the beach." Simple past
"I used to swim every day when I lived close to the beach." used to + infinitive
"I was swimming every day when I was at the beach." Past progressive
"I had been swimming every day at that time." Past perfect progressive
Probably others. It depends on the context. "Used to swim" is probably the most common.

Status
Not open for further replies.