[Grammar] 1st sentence in present perfect continuous and 2nd sentence in simple past

ansonguy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Every Monday, my non-native English speaking friends and I meet and learn English from one another in one of our houses. We have learned that "Over/During/In" can be used interchangeably. In our discussion last Monday, we made up an example as shown below. We all agreed that the tense in the first sentence is OK. However, we did not know how to fix the tense in the second sentence.

(ex) Over/During/In the last few weeks, we have been collecting data from people using questionnaires. When we finished our data collection two days ago, we found some misprints in the questions.

The present perfect continuous "have been collecting" suggests that our data collection started at some point in the past and continues until right now. The simple past in the next sentence indicates that our collection ended two days ago. This contradicts with the fact that our collection continues until now.

How can we fix the problem with the tenses? Thank you for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
'When we checked the data we collected two days ago, we found some misprints.'

ansonguy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you, bhaisahab, for editing my second sentence. May I ask you one more question before I leave my post? Based on your editing, does it mean that the tenses in my sentences are OK? Please answer my question. Thanks again.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
With the modifications I have made it's fine.